10 gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarantula army

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my ten gallon up and running again. Last time I only had a betta fish (male) in it. I want to do something kind of different. Here are a couple stocking ideas I had

5 silver hatchetfish

OR

5 Norman's Lampeyes
1 female betta

OR

A betta sorority (5)
Would that be difficult? I've heard a few success stories and tons of failures. I've tried a divided tank with a couple males, but it was a disaster.

OR

4-6 female guppies

OR

Some sort of small schooling species
(2) ADF's
A female betta

Other suggestions and criticisms welcome. I haven't really kept anything other than Bettas, so I'd like some information on the fish as well. Also, could I just keep a school of 4-5 glass catfish, or do they get too big?
Also, are ADF's a pain to feed? Are there pelleted foods for them?if I go on vacation, are there things you could just drop in the tank for them because I'm almost positive whoever will care for my tank won't hand feed them.

Last edited:
I've heard feeding ADF's can sometimes be difficult if you don't have experience with live food, and I haven't had much
Luck with shrimp; but Endler's are kind of interesting. Thanks for the reply. Are there pellets or wafers that I can feed ADF's?

I also have a 10 gallon, I currently only have a gold doubloon molly, mystery snail, and a dwarf crayfish. wanting to add more but I don't want a bottom feeder or anything too small or slow to potentially be caught by the crayfish (2 in) I'm not sure on the molly's sex and don't want to deal with babies or i would just get another molly...

I also have a 10 gallon, I currently only have a gold doubloon molly, mystery snail, and a dwarf crayfish. wanting to add more but I don't want a bottom feeder or anything too small or slow to potentially be caught by the crayfish (2 in) I'm not sure on the molly's sex and don't want to deal with babies or i would just get another molly...

What do you feed dwarf crayfish? And wouldn't the crayfish eat any fish in the tank?

He eats pretty much anything on the bottom of the tank, algae wafers, sinking pellets, leftover tropical flakes, etc. and yes, if the fish is small enough he might try to eat them, but as I said he's only 2 inches, too small to take on anything he's lived with, but as long as you provide a lot of hiding spots and enough food, he's actually really peaceful (unlike the larger crayfish)

But I don't really want to chance putting in guppies, tetras, etc just in case he gets any ideas

I have owned 3 dwarf crayfish and would never get them again lol. It's $14 for a crayfish that will only live 1 to 1 and 1/2 years. Mine were extremely sensitive and weren't worth it at all. Only thing that they did was eat, poop and tear up my cories. For the 10 I would stock Red Cherry Shrimp and 4 scarlet badis. Interesting fish and shrimp. Scarlet Badis may be harder to feed but if you spend some time each day they'll learn that it comes from you. Shrimp are easy as long as you have stable parameters and a cycled and planted tank. Planted tanks aren't necessary for shrimp but it makes it a lot easier to keep them.

I haven't had any luck with shrimp. They've rather died within a clue days or were eaten within the same timeframe. the Internet says scarlet Badis need food that isn't in flake form or the like. I don't want to deal with that, as I am semi new to fish keeping.

I have owned 3 dwarf crayfish and would never get them again lol. It's $14 for a crayfish that will only live 1 to 1 and 1/2 years. Mine were extremely sensitive and weren't worth it at all. Only thing that they did was eat, poop and tear up my cories. For the 10 I would stock Red Cherry Shrimp and 4 scarlet badis. Interesting fish and shrimp. Scarlet Badis may be harder to feed but if you spend some time each day they'll learn that it comes from you. Shrimp are easy as long as you have stable parameters and a cycled and planted tank. Planted tanks aren't necessary for shrimp but it makes it a lot easier to keep them.

Maybe it's just mine but he's quite the character. He spends most of his day climbing the plants and decorations and trying to escape haha. (I have a glass top so I'm not worried) The only issue I've had with him is that when I first introduced him he got into it a couple times with a betta that was in there at the time. But now he pretty much does his own thing and very rarely causes trouble.

Also, I'm not sure if Scarlet Badis would be a good choice in a tank with the crayfish or shrimp as they tend to eat smaller crustaceans :ermm:

I've had Otos before. Cute little guys. One of them survived for a couple years until my heater broke and I roasted him. Shrimp never live long. I've tried multiple times and have always been disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom