10Gal Stocking Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a small 10Gal tank under my 30. Was going to use it for hospital but found alittle 5gal for that. Anyway what would be some good colorful easy to care for fish to put in there? I was thinking about a Betta with either a few female bettas or possibly some guppies with it. What are some of your recomendations? Also could I go with some small Cichlids in it?

I was also thinking about a Paradies Fish, Ive read about them and know there probably the easiest fis to care for due to there low water quality demands but have heard you can have only one male due to there Betta like behavior as far as fighting. Also not sure if my LFS stocks them. Are they decent fish?

Well first things first. Cichlids need much more room than a 10g to be happy and survive in a tank. As beautiful as they are, they're out.

Yes you can house a betta with some females and bettas also do well with some community fish also; eg: tetras. I dont know much about Paradies fish, so someone else with have to aid you with that. I would do a small schooling tank personally. Rummynoses, Het. Rasboras, cardinal tet's. Perhaps some low light live plants also :D

I have Rummies in my 30 and like I said want a fish thats very hardy and easy to care for as water changes is a pain with a tank that low to the floor. As far as Paradise fish go, they were the 3rd fish only to goldfish and koi to be exported to europe when fish keeping became popular since like I said they can survive poor water requirements. Heres a pic:

Attachments

• paradise-male_111.jpg
    paradise-male_111.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 22
i would reccomend platies and assorted tetras. 11 or 12 tetras max.also some plants would be good to . the most hardy of teras i think is the glo lite. and all platies are hardy.

ryan said:
i would reccomend platies and assorted tetras. 11 or 12 tetras max.also some plants would be good to . the most hardy of teras i think is the glo lite. and all platies are hardy.

11 or 12 is pushing it.

Ive had Platies before and really dont have much of a interest in them. Might consider some tetras but rather go with a more elegant looking fish like the Paradis or a Betta

Bettas are solitary fish. They can do well in a community tank in some circumstances, but I really would not recommend that for a 10 gallon tank; it's too small, and aggressions are multiplied in a small tank.

Guppies are not recommended as a tankmate because their fins are long and colorful like a betta's. The betta would attack the guppy.

Tetras are not recommended as betta tankmates; I have seen a group of tetras gang up on and nip a betta. In a big enough tank, tetras and bettas may work but I would not even try in the 10 gallon tank.

One male betta with a group of female bettas would not work either. Bettas are not like livebearers in that one male can be housed with 3-4 females. Bettas are only put together for a short time to breed and then are separated. They don't live together as tankmates. Female bettas are aggressive also and may end up killing the male or shredding his fins; that is, if the male doesn't attack first.

If you want to have a betta as your "centerpiece" fish in the 10 gallon, then you could have some cory catfish (3-4) in with him. The catfish are bottom dwellers and would probably not get in the betta's way. The catfish are the only suitable tankmates I can think of for a betta in a small tank.

Alright thanks for the suggestions, might not go the betta route then. Might go with some guppies since there simple and are quite colorful.

Ok so I still dont know what I should stock my tank with. I was looking around online and through some of my fish books and was thinking about going the guppy route. How many could I have in my tank or is there another colorful hardy fish I should take a look at instead?

I probably will forgo the Betta as that would be the only fish I would have in there although it still may be an option if no other fish satisfy me. Anyway any input would be appreciated.

Also Could I put some sort of invert in the tank? I was thinking a shrimp as Ive never had an invert before or is the tank too small?

You can do shrimp with bettas. I have personally had great success with it in the past. I have also watched other people's bettas hunt down small shrimps and eat them. I guess it just really depends upon your fish and whether s/he recognizes shrimp as a food source.

The only betta I have had any issues with is the newest guy I got 2 months ago after the 2 siblings I had for almost 3 years died:(. He likes to eat my ghosts, but there are plenty of hidey spaces for them to shoot into whenever he swims in their direction. And since his big fins slow him down, the shrimp usually have plenty of time to hide.

I tried keeping amano shrimp with my betta. I added 3 and they were gone by the next day. I never even found the bodies!

Back
Top Bottom