20 gallon brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wright4lfe

Aquarium Advice Activist
what salt do you guys use when setting up a brackish tank...

i plan on doing one this weekend and want to use the best...

thanks, what additional gear do you have other than the basics for a FW tank? i tried doing a search for setting up a brackish tank but not finding anything. like, do i need a special filter, water tests, etc?

No extra tests, but Instant Ocean or salt for a marine tank is what you should use. You will need a hydormeter that reads from 1.000 and up to marine.

The target for our BW tank is 15~18ppt

The calculations my fiance worked out are as follows (we are slowly acclimatizing our tank):
1ppt=4.39ml/gal
2.5ppt=11ml/gal
5ppt=22ml/gal
10ppt=44ml/gal
15ppt=66ml/gal

Our teaspoon set has both metric and English units (and it was bought in the states).
Keep in mind that most BW fish are sold as FW and you may want to get the fish and acclimatize them all together. Also, bacteria in FW is different than bacteria for BW. We had all our fish in a cycled FW tank and have been adding salt weekly. You can probably go faster, but we wanted everything to go right. The first week we added 1 ppt, then upped it to 2.5 ppt, then to 5 ppt and last night, over a period of hours, I got them somewhere to around 10 ppt I need to double check with the hydrometer. Good luck with the tank! I will be gone for a couple of days, please PM me and I will get back to you when I return if you have any Qs.

Back
Top Bottom