20 gallon divided betta tank with 10 gallon sump.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjd4003

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im thinking of building a divided betta tank. 20 Gallon long split 4 ways. I would be using solid glass sheets for dividers without any holes. The dividers would sit flush with the front and stop 2 inchs short in the back. I would separate a 2" channel running along the back and place plastic dividers from a craft store in the back of the betta "condos". This way water can flow out the back and into a basic 10 gallon HOB or two. My heater would also be behind the plastic dividers.

I was then thinking (cause I have a few 10 gal tanks sitting around) id turn one of them into a sump, and place a PVC overflow pipe in the 2" channel in the back and and a simple return, split 4 ways so each betta has fresh water trickling into there condo.

My question is... is the sump overkill? 4 bettas in a 20 gallon tank isn't really a huge bioload (id have 4 nerite snails for algae control as well) Im only considering it because with the plastic divders in the back water will pass through but not much in the way of solids. I figured the extra water volume would help. I'm also planning on planting the tank.

Let me know what you think! Thanks for your help!

Is it overkill? Yes. Would your bettas appreciate it? Yes.

My outlook is that if you have fun building it and are willing to put the time/resources into it, then it's always worthwhile. You will have some very happy bettas when all is said and done :)

Back
Top Bottom