20 Gallon tank project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickB8951

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up this tank from my friend yesterday FOR FREE!! :dance: It was a disgusting mess when I got it. I gave it a little TLC(a lot of TLC), and now it's back to life! I Filled it up and luckily there were no leaks. After cleaning it, I noticed there were some scratches in the glass. Does anyone know if its possible to get some of the scratches out?

Attachments

• 4.9 1.jpg
    4.9 1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 80
  • 4.9 2.jpg
    4.9 2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 4.9 3.jpg
    4.9 3.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 4.9 5.jpg
    4.9 5.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 85
I decided I can live with a few scratches after seeing how much time/work/money goes in to getting them out! I want to keep this tank as low budget as I can. I had some leftover black gravel and filled in the bottom with it. The tank was given to me with a working filter, but it was for a 10-15 gallon tank... So I broke down and bought a 20-30 gallon filter since its a pretty important part of the fish's well being. Aquarium is filled to the top, water treated, and cycling started.

Attachments

• 4.10 3.jpg
    4.10 3.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 79
I decided I can live with a few scratches after seeing how much time/work/money goes in to getting them out! I want to keep this tank as low budget as I can. I had some leftover black gravel and filled in the bottom with it. The tank was given to me with a working filter, but it was for a 10-15 gallon tank... So I broke down and bought a 20-30 gallon filter since its a pretty important part of the fish's well being. Aquarium is filled to the top, water treated, and cycling started.
Nice! Any idea what you are gonna put in it?

Nice! Any idea what you are gonna put in it?

I am transferring the fish I had in my 6 gallon Fluval Edge into this one. This was my first attempt at fish keeping and I really overstocked the Edge! Here's the stock going in to this one (I know I'm about ten gallons short):

-1 Black Moore
-1 Ryukin
-7 Ghost Shrimp
-2 Mystery Snails
-1 Rubber lip Pleco

NickB8951 said:
I am transferring the fish I had in my 6 gallon Fluval Edge into this one. This was my first attempt at fish keeping and I really overstocked the Edge! Here's the stock going in to this one (I know I'm about ten gallons short):

-1 Black Moore
-1 Ryukin
-7 Ghost Shrimp
-2 Mystery Snails
-1 Rubber lip Pleco

Yea those fish shouldn't be in a 20gal either, sorry.

The goldies need a much bigger tank alone, that's. It counting the pleco :(

Looks cute. Can you keep both tanks going? Maybe this would lessen the bio load a smidgen in each tank. Even with a 20 gallon your going to have to stay on top of your water changes. The two goldies as you know really would do better in a 30 gallon and need 10xs the filtration for the tank. Keep your eyes open maybe another larger tank will pop up "FREE". Just a side note my "free" 55 gallon has already cost me about 200$ in setting it up LOL! Good luck with your new tank!

Yes, lewisville tx! Crazy huh! I lived in Flower Mound for about 10 years.

Sidenote:
I just added a 15 gal filter to go with the 30 gal filter that might help a little.

And so far the cost is at $30 for the 30 gal filter. The rest either came with the tank or I already had it. Score!

My Fish Babies. said:
Looks cute. Can you keep both tanks going? Maybe this would lessen the bio load a smidgen in each tank. Even with a 20 gallon your going to have to stay on top of your water changes. The two goldies as you know really would do better in a 30 gallon and need 10xs the filtration for the tank. Keep your eyes open maybe another larger tank will pop up "FREE". Just a side note my "free" 55 gallon has already cost me about 200$ in setting it up LOL! Good luck with your new tank!

I agree with you about the "free" thing. It can add up very quickly! I am just transferring a lot of the stuff from my other tank on this one. Redoing my 6 gallon is going to be another story. The addiction never ends!

Although the fish you have should be in about 30 Gallons, 40 breeder being the best, good job at being a responsible fish keeper and upgrading from the Edge. Look at Craig's List a lot and I bet you can find good deals on 40G Breeders. For now the fish look rather small 2-3 inches so they will be set for a good amount of time. In a year or so look into upgrading even further.:fish1:

Although the fish you have should be in about 30 Gallons, 40 breeder being the best, good job at being a responsible fish keeper and upgrading from the Edge. Look at Craig's List a lot and I bet you can find good deals on 40G Breeders. For now the fish look rather small 2-3 inches so they will be set for a good amount of time. In a year or so look into upgrading even further.:fish1:
Yeah, I love Craigslist. Got a partial 55 gallon set up for about 50 bucks. I always check it everyday to see if there is a too-good-to-be-true deal lurking on the page...

Back
Top Bottom