20G stocking advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsstace

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi.

I'm new to site and fishkeeping, near end of my fishless cycling. I wanted some opinion/advice on stocking.

I wanted to keep a small pleco? If poss? What type?

And looking to put in few; male guppy, neon tetras and dwarf gourami.

Would this be overstocked?

Thanks

Welcome!

Try a Bristle Nose Pleco. And no, it wouldn't be considered overstock, depending on how many of eac fish you get.

That sounds like ideal stocking, actually. Absolutely ideal. You can do any type of small pleco staying under 6 inches. A few possibilities are pitbull, bristlenose, clown, or albino bristlenose. Also, you can do probably 5-6 males guppies, 6-8 neon tetras and a single dwarf gourami. This will mean that you have all the ranges of your swimming space covered: top (guppies), middle (neons), bottom (pleco), and all-around (gourami). Plus, those fish should all get along nicely and it won't be overstocked.

Everyone here is so adamant about Bn's, idk why, clown plecos are just as small and way cuter...

I'm happy it sounds good. Just hopefully the tank finshes cycling soon.

Yep! Be sure to acclimate properly and don't add them all at once!

I'm based in UK, and all/most plecos are sold under the name BN pleco though?

The all look different, are they still correct there all BN? If not, how can I tell exactly whether it's BN or not?

Is there a specific order I should add the fishes in tank?

alLexX said:
not around here,my LFS carried clown plecs before BNs and clowns are cheaper:)

The only Pleco's sold here are Common's, BN's, and Albino BN's. There was one occasion where I saw a Gold Nugget for sale, but then I saw the price... :mad:

Not particularly, though you might want to add the gourami last as it's most likely to establish territory and it's probably the most sensitive fish. Or add the neon tetras last because they actually need a fairly established tank.

Plecos are hardy and provide the most bioload for a single fish, so I'd add the pleco first and wait a week or more (don't forget to supplement its diet with algae wafers for a new tank), then add the guppies next, then add the others after a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom