29 Gal Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gamma_draconis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I wanted to jump on the bandwagon and start asking about my potential stocking list for my 29g. This is my first tank so I don't have much personal experience to go on yet. I probably have a little while still because I've only started to get a nitrIte spike in my fishless cycle but it won't be too long now I hope.

Here's what I've been thinking of:

1 small pleco, probably a Candy Stripe (L105) or a Clown (L104/L162)
6 cardnial or neon tetras
3 corys, maybe bronzes, peppereds or juliis
6 rummy nose tetras

Does anyone have any opinions on cardinal vs. neon tetras? I like the full red of the cardnial and I've heard that neons can be difficult to keep.

How about corys? I love these funny little fish but I'm a bit worried because I have gravel instead of sand and I don't want their barbels to be hurt. It's fairly smooth gravel but has some smaller pieces I thought might be a problem. I believe the brand is Spectra stone or something like that.

Finally does anyone have an idea for a "centerpiece" fish? Or will my tetras and cats look fine on their own?

You basically described the fish I have in my planted 29.

6 cardinals
6 rummy nose
6 zebra danios
3 schwartz's corys
2 sae
2 oto cats
1 bn pleco

I heard the same thing about the cardinals being tough to keep. So far I can not substantiate that. I'm not sure that I would make them the first fish in the tank just in case.

I have gravel in my tank but it is like pea gravel or very small river rock. The corys do just fine in that.

WIth the direction you seem to be going, you may like the look of a larger number of cardinals or rummys. They are both nice schooling fish and make for a stunning display when they all move together.

My $.02

The corys will be fine, in fact it's silicate sand that I've seen most people worry about. Any sealed (aquarium) gravel will be very smooth and safe for them.

You could have an angel or two in that tank, they could be very striking if you looked for some pretty ones. A yellow lab might work, probably the only cichlid to consider.

Just avoid using Flourite and similarly jagged/sharp substrate with your corydoras in there and you should be fine.

i've never really heard of neon tetras being hard to keep, cardinals are the bigger and require a better PH i think it was (someone please correct me if its a different factor)

as for a showpiece try a grouami or perhaps a betta?

I'd take the gourami over the betta. More likely to get a peaceful fish that way. Sometimes bettas are just fine and sometimes they like to be a bit aggressive.

I had one in a tank with semi-aggressives and it was harassed. I had a different one in a tank with peaceful fish and it pestered everything. Swapped their tanks and everything was just fine.

Yeah, bettas are beautiful but not for me I think.

I like the idea of larger tetra schools. How large of a school do you think I can go with if I stick to two tetra species, the corys and a pleco?

Back
Top Bottom