5.5 gallon tank for my daughter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joels3400

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering what suggestions you guys have for a 5.5 gallon tank? I thought about a Betta, 2 Guppies, or say 5 neon tetra's. Any thoughts? I don't want to overload this small tank. Thanks!

I'd say stick with a betta. They work best alone, you could try shrimp or snails with him but it'd have to be heavily planted for shrimp.

DEFINITELY not neon tetras. I know they look cool, and I'm no trying to be rude at all. They should have a minimum of 20 gallons, but only because they are so active. I would do a female beta and a few ghost shrimp, as ghosts get bigger and are hardier than RCS. I think your daughter would be happy with that :)

Nils

My daughter has a 5.5 gallon in her room. She has celestial pearl danios (CPD) also known as Galaxy rasbora, they are better suited for small aquariums and are very pretty. Also you could look into a killifish, there are some colorful varieties of those as well. Then do cherry shrimp as bottom cleaners.

That is really high pH.
But if you can get locally bred fish, they would work better.
You might try taking a bucket of your tapwater and letting it sit out for a day or two and retest the pH and see if it drops.

You can add driftwood in the tank and Peatmoss to your filter to help a but, you will get tannins in the water at first. If you have the money for it AquaSoil Amazonia will drop your pH and keep it there.

Otherwise you can do straight RO water and then add a re-mineralizer.

Or just leave your water alone and try healthy local fish.

Fish ?
A single male Betta
Or
2-3 male Guppies
Or
A single Pea Puffer

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Another idea to keep the ph low would be to find a small piece of driftwood. If you get shrimp I suggest tying java moss to the wood.

Right now I have two male guppies in a 5.5 gallon tank who are doing very well for the most part. They sometimes get a little rowdy, but no nipping or bullying. They're active and colorful. Once this tank is cycled I'm going to be adding some RCS as well.

I wouldn't recommend more than two males though. They'll need frequent water changes during the cycling process, and live plants always help!

Don't get tetras at all. They do best in groups of 4-5 and need a lot of swim room, neither of which a 5 gallon tank can provide. If you go for a betta make sure you check him up and down for fin rot (pet stores keep them in those tiny jars).

Back
Top Bottom