5.5gal stock undecided

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexjdavis19

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 5.5gal tank sitting waiting for me to fill it up. I can't decide what to stock it with though. I was thinking either a shrimp tank or maybe a betta. Is a dwarf puffer also a possibility in this small of a tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes a dwarf puffer would do fine your tank!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Actually, after reading up on the dwarf puffer, I don't think I'm ready for one. I'd love one in the future when I'm more experienced though!

So down to a betta or a shrimp tank...

Update: I actually think I'll go with the dwarf puffer! Take a chance. Any tips I should know? I'm at least going to wait until I'm back into the routine of college and my roommates are all settled and moved in before I get it.

Make sure you have plenty of frozen foods on hand!

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

But other than feeding, they are relatively easy!

Fishobsessed7

They like snails too, right? How would I go about keeping snails ready for them? Is that easy?

They like snails too, right? How would I go about keeping snails ready for them? Is that easy?

If you go to your LFS and buy your dwarf puffer, you could ask for a few snails along with it! You could put a tiny breeder box in the tank to prevent the snails to be eaten before they could even breed more! Just have 5-10 snails in the tank at a time for the puffer to hunt down. Dwarf puffers also like frozen blood worms. My fish treat them like live fish so it is really fun to watch them hunt frozen blood worms.

My puffer won't be overfed if I leave that many in there? I heard they'll eat until they explode

Ok thanks for the help! I'll update once I get it going

So I finally picked up my dwarf puffer. The filter seems to be too powerful for it as the fish doesn't go anywhere near it and when I've seen it over there, it definitely struggled to swim. Any fixes to this? I have a Whisper 10i.

Back
Top Bottom