5 gallon Betta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buddha_red

Aquarium Advice FINatic
img_1010434_0_9aa32751b6c75e69355e9195472c27a3.jpg

Java ferns, Anuibus nana on the way, a few misc live plants and tacky fake log to hide in.

Can or should i add a red cherry shrimp? i need some sort of cuc but its a small betta tank after all.

any suggestions besides get a bigger tank?

Good looking red betta. I wouldn't add the red cherry shrimp. I raise RCS for my lfs and I have many bettas. The betta will either eat it, or the RCS will hide constantly. I've tried them together and I've even tried them with a smaller female betta. The shrimp were lunch. Betta have rather large mouths and shrimp are just super-yummy treats for just about any fish.

I would add some top cover. Bettas come from rice paddies and are most comfortable in densely planted, shallow waters with lots of top cover. If he's really comfortable you may even see a bubble nest. I have one betta that blows bubble nests, but he stops when I trim his plants, then starts again when his plants grow back. They don't care if the plants are real or not, top cover is just grand to them.

I wouldn't add anymore fish in a 5 gallon, but it didn't sound like you were going to. Cute little tank.

thank you so much for replying! I was planning to purchase a couple shrimp, glad i am a member here. Your right about not adding any fish, This is Jake's home.

Do you happen to have any suggestions for a top cover? I will still need some light to reach the bottom for the ferns.

I have a 3 gallon rimless nano and a 7.5 gallon rimless nano for bettas, both without covers, and they seem fine. Perhaps you don't need one?

cool, I am hoping to plant the aquarium to Jake's liking. I am going to go without a plant cover for now. so i can see if i can grow the standard low light plants.

Back
Top Bottom