55 gallon freshwater setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eco23 said:
I'm not sure I'm following the different tanks and what all is going on (I got a bit mixed up), but the definition of "cycled" simply means you have a sufficient amount of beneficial bacteria to convert the waste produced in the tank. It's all about the proportion. So if you transfer over well established media, it should be able to handle a good amount of toxins. That's what we were saying about simply transferring all the media from the old tank to the new which is already conditioned to handle your fish.

Shrimp have tiny bio-loads, so it shouldn't take much media at all to cycle a tank for them with media.

I'm also mixed up about the 1ppm ammonia reading, whether that's residuals from starting the fishless cycle, or if that's a spike from switching over the fish...but I'd be hesitant to remove any filter media from the tank you just transferred the fish to since it's at a delicate balance with the bacteria : fish proportion.

I'm sure I'm mixing stuff up, but that's the basics of it :)

I think u got it right on

So it turns out my vials for my API test kit were "dirty" from the test solution. It was reading higher than I thought so I did multiple water changes and it still read the same. So I washed the vial with soap and water and stuck paper towels in it to clean, it was filthy. After retesting with the clean vial it read 0 ammonia, yes!

How long would I be able to keep five commons in in a 55 gallon set up. The goldfish are under a year old.

From what I've read the suggestion is 20 gallons for the first and 10 gallons for each there after. So your close to having a suitable tank already, five making 60 gallons total. If you have good filtration they should b fine for quite a while I'd imagine.

yep, that's for fancy goldfish, common goldfish get over a foot easily so they really deserve to be in a very large tank or pond.

I don't think you'll get an exact answer about how long you can keep them in there, rehoming them the sooner the better would be what I'd do.

How long would I be able to keep five commons in in a 55 gallon set up. The goldfish are under a year old.
Probably a couple of months if they are all around inch right now and you keep the conditions ideal. At growth rate of 1-2inches a mth though, realistically they will need a larger home in less than 6mths-probably sooner.

Back
Top Bottom