55 gallon trouble....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stormy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I have a 55gal freshwater tropical fish tank i set up about 6 weeks ago. I am running a tetratec 500 filter as well as an emperor 400 with bio wheels. I have a couple gouramis,1 pleco,1 angel fish,2sailfin mollies and several danios. My ammonia is always high. All other water tests are fine. I used cycle to start the tank and have used aquasafe when i did the partial water change. I leave my 8 gallons of new water sit out for 24 hours before i do the change, then proceed with the change. I have been told so many different things by my pet store to do and i am confused at this point. Any clue what is going on? I also notice my fish have a torn look on their fins. The pet store said this is due to the high ammonia and to add aquarium salt and strees coat.. please help... thanks...[/b]

Hiya stormy and welcome to Aquariumadvice.

It may be your Aquasafe. I might be wrong, but I believe Aquasafe is a product which detoxifies ammonia. Products that do that can cause false positive readings on Nessler ammonia tests.

What are the ammonia levels? Have you ever had any nitrite/nitrate readings? How often do you water change (and 8g is a very small change for a 55g; I usually do 20g or so on mine, and I have good water parameters).

Fresh clean water is likely what your tank needs, more then salt or stress coat or anything else. You don't have to let the water sit out; match temps and make sure its treated (either before it goes in, or as it goes in).

First, Welcome to AA, Stormy!

From what I hear, cycle does not do what it is intended to do (bio-spira works best). Read the article on cycling found in the Articles section here on AA. What are your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites? How often are you changing the water? You need to be doing daily changes of 25-50% until your ammonia comes down and stays down if your ammonia levels are very high. Salt and stress coat will not compensate for the high ammonia.
How much are you feeding--over feeding with increase ammonia? Are you vacuuming the gravel to get rid of waste (adds to ammonia)?

(edit--Allivymar and I posted around the same time, sorry for the double Qs.)

I agree with earlier post of the Aquasafe may cause false positive. Check you tap for ammonia then add the aquasafe to some tap and see if you get a positive ammonia result. Are your fish scraping their gills and or rapid breathing?

Bio-Spira does work, if you find that you truly have an ammonia prob....

Hello thanks for the advice. i have not had any abnormal readings on any other water test just the ammonia. I went to that fish place in PA. and they reccomended the aquasafe and cycle. I checked the tap water and ammonia was fine thats why i was so confused. I also asked the pet place about water change and they said only take out 8 or 9 gallons every 2 weeks. I am trying hard to solve this problem and i appreciate all your advice. I have been using the ammonia test kit by aquarium pharmaceuticals inc. The fish place also said to let the water sit overnight and never use tap water directly in the tank. This is a big ball of confusion... thanks again..... stormy

I speak for many that have been given conflicting advise from LFS employees when I tell you: "Do your own research!!!" I still want to listen to the people I am buying my fish from, but too many bad experiences has made me give up on them. :x

The fish place also said to let the water sit overnight and never use tap water directly in the tank.
There are water conditioners that bind the chlorine; so letting the water sit is unnecessary. Plus, room temp water will more then likely not be the temp you want, which will stress your fish depending on the temp difference.

How are your fish other than torn fins? Do they look stressed--breathing hard, listless? I have never owned those fish all together--is there an aggressor in the bunch?
Weekly water changes (20-25%) while gravel vacuuming is a good rule of thumb. Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom