Adding aquarium salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking off adding some aquarium salt to act as a preventive measure, but I need some advice on what amount with my stock... if I even can. It's a planted tank with;
Neons, Pristella, and Bloodfin tetras
Silver and Black mollies
Platies
Gouramis
Guppies
a BN Pleco

Can I do the full table spoon/5 gallons? Half? None? Also, once I get more plant cover I was thinking of moving some RCS from my 10g over, but I'm betting that shrimp with any amount of salt is bad, right?

Thanks!

My understanding from research is that the BN pleco can only tolerate salt for a short time. You really need to research each separate species you have to see what their salt tolerance is.

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

I'm thinking off adding some aquarium salt to act as a preventive measure, but I need some advice on what amount with my stock... if I even can. It's a planted tank with;
Neons, Pristella, and Bloodfin tetras
Silver and Black mollies
Platies
Gouramis
Guppies
a BN Pleco

Can I do the full table spoon/5 gallons? Half? None? Also, once I get more plant cover I was thinking of moving some RCS from my 10g over, but I'm betting that shrimp with any amount of salt is bad, right?

Thanks!

Hello Super...

Yes, you can absolutely use a little standard aquarium salt, kosher salt or commercial canning salt in your freshwater tank. It's been used as a standard "health tonic" in tanks for decades.

I've dosed a little more than a teaspoon in every 5 gallons of my water change water in my "Livebearer" tanks for about 8 years with good results. I keep large numbers of Corydoras in the same slightly "brackish" tanks with no problems. All the fish reproduce on a routine basis and as long as you keep the salt doses small, your aquatic plants will be fine. The salt also replenishes minerals in the water, the plants need.

The added benefit is a little salt will strengthen the fishes' immune system and water moves through the fishes' gills more easily with a little salt in the water and most fish pathogens can't live in water with dissolved salt.

It's used as a general treatment for fish illnesses, so common sense tells me to use a little routinely, so you don't need to use a lot later.

Just one "water keeper's" opinion. You're free to make your own decision.

B

LyndaB said:
My understanding from research is that the BN pleco can only tolerate salt for a short time. You really need to research each separate species you have to see what their salt tolerance is.

This is my research. :) I could look at 5 different websites and get 5 different opinions. And I know better than to trust the chain store "experts". I'll take the advice of anyone here before I take theirs.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm getting just as wide of variety of advice here.....

Keep in mind I'm talking about aquarium salt for medicinal purposes, not marine salt for brackish. ( yes I know some of my stock would prefer brackish water )

Yep, that's what my response at least was based on.

Your fish don't need it, there will be some that will always recommend some salt no matter the species in the tank, and I think the majority will say no, freshwater means freshwater.

Ultimately, the choice is yours based on your own research and personal experience, I think.

Back
Top Bottom