advice plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

largertankplz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everybody new to site wanted some info on what i have in my tank as far as good additions if i have to much or if some might cause problems (so far everything gets along)
3 angels
2 dwarf gourami
1 kissing gourami
1 ropefish(want another)
1 dragon gobie
1 iridescent shark
1 black fin shark
1 red fin shark
1 bala shark
2 plecos
1 pictus catfish
1 blue crawfish(Hammers blue lobster on liveaquaria)
1 stripped raphael catfish
55 gallon tank
any suggestions to add or advice to give would be appreciated

OOOOOK. I don't know if this is serious but I will bite.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

I don't even have the plecos in there on the list because I don't know what kind.... Your tank is OVERSTOCKED. VERY VERY BADLY. Like RED ALERT BADLY.

Warning: Dwarf Gourami is not recommended to be withKissing Gourami - they may agressively fight.
Note: Kissing Gourami needs driftwood.
Warning: Kissing Gourami is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 11 inches.
Warning: Dwarf Gourami may become food for Kissing Gourami.
Warning: Kissing Gourami is not recommended to be withDwarf Gourami - they may agressively fight.
Warning: Ropefish is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 12 inches.
Warning: Dwarf Gourami may become food for Ropefish.
Warning: Dragon Goby is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 15 inches.
Warning: Dragon Goby requires brackish water.
Warning: Iridescent Shark is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 36 inches.
Warning: Iridescent Shark requires a tank with more height.
Warning: At least 5 x Iridescent Shark are recommended in a group.
Warning: Bala Shark is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 12 inches.
Warning: At least 5 x Bala Shark are recommended in a group.
Warning: Dwarf Gourami may become food for Bala Shark.
Note: Red Tailed Black Shark may jump - lids are recommended.
Warning: Red Tailed Black Shark needs to be kept alone.

Recommended temperature range: 24 - 26 C. [SIZE=-1][Display in Farenheit][/SIZE]
Recommended pH range: 6.5 - 7.8.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!

Your aquarium stocking level is 299%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.[SIZE=-1] [Generate Image][/SIZE]

You basically just need to take everything back to the fish store and start over. RESEARCH your fish before you purchase them. Almost every fish on your list is completely unsuitable for a 55g. You just need to START OVER.

Rather than adding anything, you need to remove 90% of what is there.

Is this a troll test of how kindly we treat a newbie with serious tank problems? Or is this a serious post?http://www.aquariumadvice.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

OOOOOK. I don't know if this is serious but I will bite.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

I don't even have the plecos in there on the list because I don't know what kind.... Your tank is OVERSTOCKED. VERY VERY BADLY. Like RED ALERT BADLY.

Warning: Dwarf Gourami is not recommended to be withKissing Gourami - they may agressively fight.
Note: Kissing Gourami needs driftwood.
Warning: Kissing Gourami is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 11 inches.
Warning: Dwarf Gourami may become food for Kissing Gourami.
Warning: Kissing Gourami is not recommended to be withDwarf Gourami - they may agressively fight.
Warning: Ropefish is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 12 inches.
Warning: Dwarf Gourami may become food for Ropefish.
Warning: Dragon Goby is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 15 inches.
Warning: Dragon Goby requires brackish water.
Warning: Iridescent Shark is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 36 inches.
Warning: Iridescent Shark requires a tank with more height.
Warning: At least 5 x Iridescent Shark are recommended in a group.
Warning: Bala Shark is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 12 inches.
Warning: At least 5 x Bala Shark are recommended in a group.
Warning: Dwarf Gourami may become food for Bala Shark.
Note: Red Tailed Black Shark may jump - lids are recommended.
Warning: Red Tailed Black Shark needs to be kept alone.

Recommended temperature range: 24 - 26 C. [SIZE=-1][Display in Farenheit][/SIZE]
Recommended pH range: 6.5 - 7.8.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!

Your aquarium stocking level is 299%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.[SIZE=-1] [Generate Image][/SIZE]

You basically just need to take everything back to the fish store and start over. RESEARCH your fish before you purchase them. Almost every fish on your list is completely unsuitable for a 55g. You just need to START OVER.

Rather than adding anything, you need to remove 90% of what is there.

Is this a troll test of how kindly we treat a newbie with serious tank problems? Or is this a serious post?http://www.aquariumadvice.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

+1 to everything said. This is not a good setup at all. You should begin calling pet stores to see if any will take your fish, posting ads on here or on craigslist to rehome your fish, and then narrow down some things you want and research and ask questions before buying. Did you at least cycle your tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

100% agree with what's been said. Half of those fish will outgrow a 55g alone. Dragon goby is actually a brackish fish. Sharks have no place with Angels. Sharks have no place with other sharks. Gourami will fight. Pleco's have humongous bioload. The list goes on.

If this is a serious post. Please listen to the advice given and start over. He can help make sure you are successful because this tank will end in disaster.

Caleb

Dead fish and a really smelly fish tank within a week

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

sorry bout late reply i've had the tank as it is with the fish for 2 weeks everything is healthy and tank is cycled i know i have some that will get rather large and plan on getting a larger tank but i did some research on everything but thte gouramis and the dragon gobie. as far as the ropefish i ahd read that my tank was to small and also that it was acceptable since its a longer one but again everythings stayin healthy and getting along for now the gouramis and dragon were kinda an impulse buy (i know not the smartest idea) will the dragon gobie live without the brackish water if it won't i'll set up another tank for him. the only stressfull behavior i have seen was from my pictus when i first got him. i am new to the hobby but i love aquatic life so i do appreciate all the info also the dwarf gouramis r not dwarf my mistake on that they seem to be gold gouramis. also as far as equipment for my tank i have 2 14 inch air stones and an 18 inch. 2 10-30 whisper filters and 3 undergravel filters ( used ones for a smaller tank that interlocked)

also i won't be adding anything and will set up a 20g i have to decrease load in the 55g. my plan is by the time the larger ones outgrow the 55 to have a 125g setup

This is a typically newbie mistake but its ok we have all done it and now is the time to learn and move forward.

I tried to put together a stock list out of what you have but couldn't because almost everything you have is incompatible. Pick your favorite 2 or 3 fish and we can try and build a stock list around those for your 55 and 20 gallon. If its not addressed quickly you are in for a whole lot of money down the toilet.

If we stock it right you will have fish that are surviving well and you will see a whole lot of personality out of them. I would suggest doing an Angel tank since you like them. They can be quite rewarding.

The dragon goby needs brackish water, that is why it is a brackish fish. It also needs a 40b just to keep one by itself. You'd be better off returning or rehoming the fish than trying to keep it.

While I guess it's good you're wanting to get a bigger tank...it really doesn't matter. Until you have the tank just work with what you do have. Getting a smaller tank such as a 20 gallon is great and all to reduce the load of the 55 gallon, but with fish that will all outgrow your 55 gallon the 20 gallon is pretty useless. Once again, the best thing would be to rehome the fish.

There are more issues with your stocking than just the fact that you are overstocked. You said you did do research on almost everything but either you really suck at doing research or you just completely ignored what was said. Had you actually done research it's doubtful you'd end up with such a poorly stocked tank. For instance, the iridescent shark is best suited for a pond. The bala shark gets 12" long and prefers groups of 5 or more (please don't add more, just get rid of the one you have), the red tail shark doesn't like any other shark species in the same tank. With the tiny footprint of a 55 you aren't giving much room for how many bottom level fish you have such as the plecos, catfish, ropefish, goby, and crayfish.

If you truly "love aquatic life" and want a successful tank then the best course of action will be what has already been mentioned: return and rehome about 95% of your fish! preferably more! and start over. You could even start a new thread once all the fish have been rehomed and ask for ideas for a stock that will work long term in the 55.

Keep the angels and the gold gouramis.
Donate,rehome,return,craigs list....they others(don't even offer them to friends{you really like}).
Get a 125,run your 55 with the 5 fish for 6 months and then you will have a better understanding(without so much loss(your money is gone but sounds like fish are still alive?)
I find it hard to believe any kind of research took place besides ;selective(said what you wanted) or poor?
Good luck and no one is trying to run you over.

Ok, you have been given some really good, and educated advice. I hope you will take it. Your tank looks like a recipe for disaster. I think you said it has only been set up for 2 weeks. When I do a fish in cycle I might have 2 small fish in there after 2 weeks. You have a Lake Michigan worth of fish in there. Unless you are doing massive water changes every day, your tank will soon be polluted. Some of your fish may kill each other as they grow, some may eat each other, and some will grow so huge that they can hardly turn around in there. Please follow the advice you have been given and find new homes for these fish. Start all over again with just a couple of small fish. Get advice from your LFS or fish forums, and proceed from there. I wish you luck.

I won't add to what the others have said about the fish, although I agree with all of the previous posts.

But I did want to comment on the under gravel filters. It can be difficult to keep safe parameters with under gravel filters unless you are very faithful in doing water changes and keeping the gravel clean. Even then, my personal experience is that water quality decreases over time even with a good maintenance schedule. With an overstocked tank and minimal hang-on-back (HOB) filtration, you might be fighting an uphill battle in trying to maintain water quality.

A canister filter might be a better option for filtration.

I won't add to what the others have said about the fish, although I agree with all of the previous posts.

But I did want to comment on the under gravel filters. It can be difficult to keep safe parameters with under gravel filters unless you are very faithful in doing water changes and keeping the gravel clean. Even then, my personal experience is that water quality decreases over time even with a good maintenance schedule. With an overstocked tank and minimal hang-on-back (HOB) filtration, you might be fighting an uphill battle in trying to maintain water quality.

A canister filter might be a better option for filtration.

I agree. I used to use HOB filters then I got a canister filter and I love it so much more than a HOB. I would recommend one of the fluval 306 or a G6 model it's a bit expensive but worth it

Keep calm and drum on

An iPhone app that has saved me a few times is 'aquarium handbook'. In the lfs I just look up whatever rash purchase I'm about to make. There's a few other sites around as well on fish habitat requirements.

I know it would be taking away options but sometimes I wonder how some fish can be sold for aquarium keeping.

thanks for all the info as far as my favorite in it would be the crawfish and the ropefish love watchin him swim 3rd would be the pictus cat and 4rth would be the iridescent or the blackfin although i do like watchn the gouramis to tho and i did do the research but i might have possibly just ignored it after i started buying cuz i wanted to many for wat i should be keeping. i check water with test strips everyday is there possibly a time frame someone could give me for about how long i could keep wat i have if i can get a larger tank soon enough? and for when i get a larger tank could a thomasi pleco (L-187b) be compatible with wat i have. i did know that alot of what i have gets rather large. as i was lookin at emm tho the want overcame the should

hi thank you for all the info. i kind of went crazy with the buying and ignored anything i looked up before hand i do like all of wat i have but favorites r the crawfish rope fish pictus cat and then iridescent or blackfin shark i had my eyes set on a thomasi pleco(L-187b) as well but started to come to my sense on that is there anyway with purchasing a 125g that i could add one and split wat i have between a 125g the 55g and a 20g to accommodate everything safely? and thank you again for the advice not sure y everyone was sayin this site wasn't helpful to newbies but it might be just how i learn

thank you for the advise i'll try to re-home the dragon goby as a brackish tank isn't somethin i'd try yet but i am stubbron and would like to keep most of wat i have is there any way between a 125g a 55g and a 20g i could accommodate what i have safely?

thank you for the advise i'll try to re-home the dragon goby as a brackish tank isn't somethin i'd try yet but i am stubbron and would like to keep most of wat i have is there any way between a 125g a 55g and a 20g i could accommodate what i have safely?

Not really. The iridescent sharks shouldn't even be sold into the aquarium trade. They can get around 4 feet long if given the proper space such as a large pond.

The columbian shark/black fin gets around ten inches and prefers brackish water as it grows, they can even be acclimated to complete marine setups.

Bala sharks require groups and while you could keep a group in a 125 it'd be cramped and pretty sad looking. They're known to be flighty and injure themselves and others in fits of fear.

You could keep a nice little group of ropefish in the 125, the crayfish could stay in the 55 but you don't really have any fish that I would feel comfortable putting with him.

I would still rehome everything and start fresh with just the 55. Whenever you actually find a 125 and set it up then you can begin planning fish for it, that way at least if you went with ropefish for the 125 you could get them all at the same time, same size, and then work around them. Personally I'm against holding fish in unfavorable conditions in the hopes that you get a bigger tank soon.

Also, test strips are extremely inaccurate. You should invest in a liquid test kit, the most recommended here is API Freshwater Master kit.

hi thank you for all the info. i kind of went crazy with the buying and ignored anything i looked up before hand i do like all of wat i have but favorites r the crawfish rope fish pictus cat and then iridescent or blackfin shark i had my eyes set on a thomasi pleco(L-187b) as well but started to come to my sense on that is there anyway with purchasing a 125g that i could add one and split wat i have between a 125g the 55g and a 20g to accommodate everything safely? and thank you again for the advice not sure y everyone was sayin this site wasn't helpful to newbies but it might be just how i learn

Lol - done that before. So many fish and so few tanks :)

Back
Top Bottom