55g Stocking idea- need consultation please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex Koch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
I have a 55g tank that I am taking my sweet time in researching and constructing. I have flip-flopped 100 times on what kind of tank I want (because I honestly want every fish I've ever seen lol) but I believe that I have landed on a stocking plan. I would love some advice and consultation so I make sure this is a good idea. The plan is this:
1 Angelfish
1 Electric Blue Acara
2 Kribensis
4-6 Denison Barbs

I think this would work in a planted 55g; the concerns I might have are the denisons stressing out the angels and the kribensis getting aggressive. As far as I'm concerned the barbs shouldn't fin nip the angels but they're so fast and active that I'm worried that that might be an issue? I hope not because my LFS had a tank with a school of healthy adult denisons and after that visual I don't think I can not get them lol. As for the kribensis, I'll make sure to add lots of hides and plants and crevices, and everything else in the tank should be bigger than they are so I doubt that would be an issue. However, I am far from the most experienced authority on this, which is why I am seeking advice. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you

I would skip the blue acara and up the angelfish to 3 or 4. One fish of a kind tends to be either very shy or aggressive. Most fish do better in groups of their own kind.

55g stocking idea

Thanks for the reply! You think 4 angels could live in a 55g?

I agree angel fish do best in groups. I’d try to get older angels because juveniles tend to be brats when you bring them home I lost 2 of mine and talked to a professional about it. She advised me to float the bag for a hr slowly adding your tank water in the bag. I’m going to try that as soon as the store gets more in
Good luck. And enjoy

I hate to bring down the optimism with multiple angels, it is great to see a group of angels in a tank but it's not always as rosy as it seems. Angels "can" be aggressive towards each other especially in a confined situation as a 55g but then again, I had multiple angels in a 55g once, have tried doing that again a couple of times and it has failed. Good luck!

I hate to bring down the optimism with multiple angels, it is great to see a group of angels in a tank but it's not always as rosy as it seems. Angels "can" be aggressive towards each other especially in a confined situation as a 55g but then again, I had multiple angels in a 55g once, have tried doing that again a couple of times and it has failed. Good luck!
My experience with multiple angels. I had 4 in 200 litres, 2 females didn't get on as one was aggresively trying to break up a pair, eventually had to rehome the aggressor before it killed the female in my profile pic. I now have 3 angelfish which isnt normally considered a good idea as 2 are definately paired up, but the pair and the singleton dont bother each other beyond an occasional little nudge.

Sometimes things dont work out as you would normally expect, but i certainly have a calmer tank without 1 female trying to kill another.

My experience with multiple angels. I had 4 in 200 litres, 2 females didn't get on as one was aggresively trying to break up a pair, eventually had to rehome the aggressor before it killed the female in my profile pic. I now have 3 angelfish which isnt normally considered a good idea as 2 are definately paired up, but the pair and the singleton dont bother each other beyond an occasional little nudge.

Sometimes things dont work out as you would normally expect, but i certainly have a calmer tank without 1 female trying to kill another.

And here I thought it was the males with the aggression issues, go figure. This is exactly what I meant with multiple angels, its a toss of the dice.

Back
Top Bottom