Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liamorr7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 240L tank with a variety of different fish. I have a fully grown common plec, 3 clown loaches, 2 Angels (1 marble, 1 platinum), 2 Cory catfish, 1 upside down catfish, 4 Bala sharks, 2 pearl gouramis, 3 cherry barbs and 2 shrimp I have no idea what species they are but they’re fairly big and just live under a rock. My tank is pretty much perfect in terms of nitrate, nitrite, pH and all of that apart from general hardness which i don’t know how to get down. I was thrown in the deep end a bit as the tank wasn’t originally mine, and now it’s been in my care since Feb, so I’m still quite new. My predicament is, I want more fish (cichlids or a single oscar but I know that’s a stretch) but I just don’t know if I should get a new species of fish or add to any existing ones. Thanks for any help!

This is a 240 litre tank? Your tank isnt big enough for the fish you have.

You have a fully grown common pleco in there. Can you confirm how big that pleco is? Im looking at a 240 litre tank right now and cant even imagine a fully grown common pleco being able to swim around in there.

Last edited:
I’m not actually sure what pleco he is, I can’t find any images with the same pattern but the closest is the common. He’s about 11 inches and he’s a few years old.

Could well be a common. They often top out at 12 inches in aquariums but can get double that.

Common plecos really should be in a tank double the size of yours. Bala sharks need more space than 240 litres. Clown loaches will outgrow your tank. If you want to add something new to your tank you would be better off getting a new, bigger tank so you can home the fish you already have properly first and then look at getting fish more suited for the one you have.

Are there any cichlids that aren’t too aggressive? I’m going to be getting a 450L tank soon.

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

---------------------

I wouldn't add anymore fish for the reason Aiken Drum mentioned above, basically lots of big fish in a small tank. An Oscar would kill most of the smaller fish in the tank. A blue Acara might work with what you have but not in that tank. You need a bigger tank or get rid of the big fish and get smaller ones.

If you post a picture of the pleco, we might be able to identify it for you?

Okay, I’m going to be upgrading to a 450L soon and might be offloading some of my fish if possible. Want to work towards a cichlid tank, probably South American. If I was to remove some fish what will be the best way. Only have space for the 1 tank, so can’t move into another would need to go completely.

What sort of South American cichlids did you want to keep?
There are South American dwarf cichlids that only grow to 2-4 inches and are quite peaceful. But there are others that grow to over a foot long and eat things.

Your clown loaches and Bala sharks can reach 10-12 inches long and should be kept in groups of at least 6 (preferably 10 or more).

If your pleco is the normal common Hypostomus plecostomus, it can reach 18-24 inches long (usually around 12-18 inches in aquariums).

Cherry barbs should be kept in groups of at least 8-10, as should the Corydoras.

Depending on the species of upside down catfish, some are social and do best in groups, others are more solitary when mature. The bigger species can reach 6-8 inches long.

Maybe have a look online for South American cichlids and make a list of what you like. Post the list here and we can go through it and offer suggestions.

Is there any chance you can have a double tier stand with one tank above the other?
Then you could have an Oscar or something in one tank and smaller peaceful fish like the angels, gouramis and barbs in another.

That’s a good shout tbh i didn’t think about a 2 tier rack. My cherry barbs were part of a big group but I lost most during a move which was upsetting.

I’ve been looking at a few cichlids and Oscar’s just still undecided. I will do some research on what I’d like but the double tier could be something I would consider.

Back
Top Bottom