African butterfly fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw them at the store, they seem nice and peaceful. They just sit at the top, would be good prey for my dragons tho haha

Yea they're a little creepy looking, if your dragons are into mystery meat, lol I'm going to give 1a try in my community tank, wish me luck.

Watch out live aquaria says they are aggresive, even though they don't get big they eat anything that will go in their mouth. They will also jump out of the water and can even glide for short distances

They are related to arrowana and will eat smaller fish. I would have a lid over their tank because they are jumpers.

I do have a heavy hood on there now due to my naughty rainbow shark. I had no idea they were related to those beastly arowana, when I get him, he's supposed to be about 1-1/2 - 2 inches, my other fish are just a bit bigger, so when I get the little fella I'll let you all know how it goes. Thank you all so much for welcoming me to this form, you all are great :) Here's my 55g.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131212_004434.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131212_004434.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 88
I do have a heavy hood on there now due to my naughty rainbow shark. I had no idea they were related to those beastly arowana, when I get him, he's supposed to be about 1-1/2 - 2 inches, my other fish are just a bit bigger, so when I get the little fella I'll let you all know how it goes. Thank you all so much for welcoming me to this form, you all are great :) Here's my 55g.

They are aggressive and eat live foods! Mine bit me and I got a nasty rash from the bacteria in his mouth. He ate corydoras as they come up for air. I used to collect moths from outside as they gather on the outside light - Moths put up a fight when you throw them in the water and it encourages The instinct for Butterfly fish to go after them
I could never get my butterfly fish to eat floating food - Only live
They do not appreciate the bright lights that are overhead
They do like floating plants to hide in !!! They are ambush predators

I have one and so far he has been pretty good. Only lost 1 tetra to him.

Buy floating carnivore pellets, they will eat those, at least mine does. I try and catch house flies to feed him as well.

Also, try and have something on the surface or close to the surface for him to hide behind

Oh thank you Kushgodrex, I've always had Oscars, love them, but wanted a community tank so I could have more than basically 1 fish. I am hoping that the butterfly has a good disposition, I have angels, gouramis, pictus cats, a rainbow shark and bristle noses. I would hate too get up one day and find the butterfly with a very full belly.

Have a tank full at work at the mo. I feed bloodworm (can get it to float if I lower it gently onto the surface), dried shrimp and cichlid pellets.

Do you have other fish in there with them? I actually had a Butterfly a long time ago, it was given to me, at the time I had an albino Oscar that was 12 inches and....well....the butterfly became a midnight snack, so I didn't get really experience with keeping one.

NO we just have the butterflies in the tank, but as a wholesaler, all our tanks normally contain just one species.

My LFS has them with rainbow fish and discus, they all seem fine, I would just keep them away from other top water fish

Oh good deal, the only fish I really would worry about are the gourami.....and maybe the angles, but I think if I feed them at opposite sides of the tank should be fine?

Ok, so I received my butterfly fish today via FedEx, seems to be doing great, lights are off until tomorrow so I don't stress it out, so far so good, angels and gourami very curious did the meet and greet hoping the butterfly wasn't scoping out tomorrow dinner lol, they are all, I think to big to eat, will keep you posted on this adventure.

Back
Top Bottom