Aged water, CO2, and ph. Help me understand! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm getting confused.

I've set up a big container to age my tank water before I add it to the tank. One reason is simply because it makes my bucket driven water change a bit easier - I can split the task over two days, instead of doing all the water carrying on one day (and no, I can't get a python, have you seen the rand / dollar exchange rate lately? :eek: ) Also, it's much easier to match temperatures this way. I don't trust my "mixing skills"

Anyway. What I'm wondering about is this. I can see that the ph drops a bit over time as the water ages, which is good, since then new water will be closer to my tank ph, which is just a touch more acidic than the tap ph.

But why does this happen, this ph drop? Chlorine out-gassing will do it, I think? What about CO2 - that's acidic, right? So having an air-stone in there, and letting the water stand for a bit, will that cause CO2 to rise, or to fall? Or is CO2 just not relevant at all?

I'm getting confused.

I've set up a big container to age my tank water before I add it to the tank. One reason is simply because it makes my bucket driven water change a bit easier - I can split the task over two days, instead of doing all the water carrying on one day (and no, I can't get a python, have you seen the rand / dollar exchange rate lately? :eek: ) Also, it's much easier to match temperatures this way. I don't trust my "mixing skills"

Anyway. What I'm wondering about is this. I can see that the ph drops a bit over time as the water ages, which is good, since then new water will be closer to my tank ph, which is just a touch more acidic than the tap ph.

But why does this happen, this ph drop? Chlorine out-gassing will do it, I think? What about CO2 - that's acidic, right? So having an air-stone in there, and letting the water stand for a bit, will that cause CO2 to rise, or to fall? Or is CO2 just not relevant at all?

Have you added an air stone to the barrel for surface aggiation? Look into a submersible pump, just shoots the water right into the tank;) pm me if you want the details on my hands free setup..
I'm not sure this process has much to do with co2? Basically the chlorine/chloromines will dissipate after 24 hrs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you added an air stone to the barrel for surface aggiation? Look into a submersible pump, just shoots the water right into the tank;) pm me if you want the details on my hands free setup..
I'm not sure this process has much to do with co2? Basically the chlorine/chloromines will dissipate after 24 hrs.

I've got an airstone in there, and I have a pump to pump the water into the tank, what a joy :)

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, just wondering if CO2 has anything to do with the changes that happen as water ages. Oh - and by the way - I thought chloromines don't offgass? Unlike chlorine?

I knew I should have stayed out of this one.. later:)

Sorry - didn't mean to offend? :(

Not at all! I was guessing.. trying to spark a response if anything. I think you're right about chloromines though..

Following :) Erk, I see my water chemistry skills have slipped.

All I can remember is that some people have ph rise after letting tap water stand. One idea is that the water is a bit pressurised and that water standing lets CO2 gas off. So maybe a CO2 link. Hopefully some-one knows otherwise will see if I can find the link on the desktop. It was really great and at the time I thought "pff, so obvious, I'll never forget that..."

That sounds interesting, Delapool. Wish I had access to some high end testing equipment to know more about the water I use!

Yes it would be good to know more :)

I found this that liquid chlorine will raise the ph of the water. I assume that as it gasses off, ph would then decrease. It does seem a little more complex so still reading.

What effect dose pH on chlorine

Also found that some water companies will lift tap ph if the pipes are old or metal. Not sure if that is a temporary effect.

Also lots of posts saying ph will decrease as tap water gasses off but doesn't say what gas!

• Sanitizers
    • Gas chlorine, trichlor and bromine tabs will all reduce pH when added to the water.
    • Sodium hypochlorite (liquid chlorine), calcium hypochlorite (Cal-Hypo) and lithium hypochlorite will all raise the pH of the water.

Back
Top Bottom