Airstone with Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do bettas like/need the bubbles from an airstone? I'm also going to put a couple otos in with him.

Should I leave it off all the time, have it on part of the day, or just leave it on all the time? I like the bubbles, but I want my betta to be happy when I get him.

5 gal. Eclipse Hex tank
Currently fishless cycling

I had the same tank as you, until an accident happened and cracked the tank, which I replaced with a 10 gallon. Anyways, I had an air stone in my tank with my betta and he liked it. He would swim over to it and "ride" the bubbles up to the top of the tank. :D I had an air flow regulator on it so it wasn't blasting away at full power.

I have sponge filters in each of my betta tanks. Both filters are run by the same air pump via a gang valve. Using the gang valve, I can adjust the airflow through the sponge filter, and the resulting bubble stream. One betta doesn't mind the bubbles coming out a little faster, and the other one likes them a little slower. You could use a gang valve on your air pump too, or you could use a inline valve regulator to control the airflow. This is just a little plastic valve that you place in the airline (cut the airline and join both pieces with the valve, and turn the little knob to regulate the airflow.) You could leave the airpump and stone on all the time; just find the adjustment that the betta likes. One of my bettas waits for the bubbles to come out and pushes them around like he's playing volleyball!

Aas mentioned..depends on the betta. We have some that prefer a practically stagnate atmosphere and other who delight in frisking in the bubbles. Most betta don't mind if they have a quiet place to sleep and are not in a whilring vortex..

Thanks, everybody. I'm so looking forward to getting my first betta, they sound like great fish, with their own distinct personalities. The airstone in my tank is small and underneath a decoration, so the bubbles come up fairly gently. Like all of you said, I'll just observe his behavior when I get him, and see if he likes it. If not, I'll adjust the flow and see if that helps.

Thanks again to all of you.

Back
Top Bottom