Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tigroscr said:
I think a straight edge razor blade works the best you just have to be really careful!

I wouldnt recommend a razor blade either, you can scratch your tank with it. You can find good algae scrapers for less than $5

bruinsbro1997 said:
Neon tetras...maybe it was just a bad bottle or something. I'm just weary of unnecessary chemicals.

It probably was a bad bottle or maybe the brand was bad because I have neon tetras in one of my tanks and have never had a problem, that sucks you lost yours. I don't blame you for not wanting to use that kind of product.

alex07 said:
I wouldnt recommend a razor blade either, you can scratch your tank with it. You can find good algae scrapers for less than $5

Well the most algae scrapers I've seen around these parts are a scraper with a razor blade at the end.

A really good cheap algae remover is called scotch brite non-scratch scrub sponges, you can find it at almost any retailer I use it on all 4 of my glass aquariums and 1 acrylic aquarium and it has never scratched either. Nor have my straight edge razor blades, but I don't use a blade on my acrylic just the sponge. :)

Tigroscr said:
Well the most algae scrapers I've seen around these parts are a scraper with a razor blade at the end.

The scratches that the razor blades leaves you wont see it when you look at the wall straight ahead, you will see it from the side. That is like when there is grease on the table you wont see it when you are looking directly straight, you have to look at it from an angle to notice.

Sponges wont remove all types of algae. Trust me been there done that. I've found the most effective are the scrapers or simply just use an old credit

alex07 said:
The scratches that the razor blades leaves you wont see it when you look at the wall straight ahead, you will see it from the side. That is like when there is grease on the table you wont see it when you are looking directly straight, you have to look at it from an angle to notice.

Sponges wont remove all types of algae. Trust me been there done that. I've found the most effective are the scrapers or simply just use an old credit

Well Alex I just looked my tanks over real good and I don't see any scratches at all no matter what angle I look from I could even hang from the ceiling with my head in the tanks and believe it or not there's no scratches! Lol! What works for me may not work for everyone. :) and for the type of sponge I use is the same as what kind I use on all my stainless steel pots and pans and it doesn't scratch, and removes algae wonderfully! I have a good friend who owns a lfs and has for 20 years and that's what he uses on all his tanks.

Tigroscr said:
Well Alex I just looked my tanks over real good and I don't see any scratches at all no matter what angle I look from I could even hang from the ceiling with my head in the tanks and believe it or not there's no scratches! Lol! What works for me may not work for everyone. :) and for the type of sponge I use is the same as what kind I use on all my stainless steel pots and pans and it doesn't scratch, and removes algae wonderfully! I have a good friend who owns a lfs and has for 20 years and that's what he uses on all his tanks.

I agree, everyone has their own personal experience.

i' ve also had fish die because of chemical algae removers. They became very still and put themselves in very strange position and stayed there all day until im guessing the algae remover went away. i really want to try siamese algae eaters put haven't seen any at my local fish stores only in colorado springs next time i head up there i will have to get some put i heard if im not mistaken. That if they eat fish food they wont eat algae anymore? if so how do i stop this wont he just eat it if it goes in front of him? i do scrub the window put what gets me is the plants and gravel with it

They will eventually have to eat fish food. They can and will eat algae but it's not a permanenent diet, they'll eventually need something else unless you have a massive tank with massive amounts of algae. You could try feeding vegetables.

Different species of snails, shrimp & fish eat different types of algae

Anyone have good tips on algae in the water? No growth on glass or anything. Just green tinted water. Like light light light green. Water temp is 78-80 always. Heater on lowest setting. Tank light is on 6 hrs. Can't use chemicals bc of my snail. Have ottos already.

Will either of those effect the algae that is eaten by the ottos? How do you keep food supply up for them?

The sterilizer will only kill algae in the water not on the glass or decorations. The algae on you tanks walls or decor is not nearly enough food for otos. You need to feed them algae wafers and occasionally a cucumber or zucchini.

Oscarr19 said:
The sterilizer will only kill algae in the water not on the glass or decorations. The algae on you tanks walls or decor is not nearly enough food for otos. You need to feed them algae wafers and occasionally a cucumber or zucchini.

Thanks. We do supplement with wafers/zucchini/peas. Good to know that it will clear up the water only.
The PWCs help but only for a few days then the color comes back. I'll look into a sterilizer. Thanks again!

I've got a dark brown algae forming on my gravel, glass, decor and heater. I don't have any fish in the tank yet but will be getting shrimp. Will they eat this type of algae and what type of shrimps best to clean up? Also what's the best technique to clean the tank? Thanks in advance.

Oscarr19 said:

Depends on the amount of algae and otos you have. I have several and never fed them anything, they munch on the algae on the driftwood

I've got a dark brown algae forming on my gravel, glass, decor and heater. I don't have any fish in the tank yet but will be getting shrimp. Will they eat this type of algae and what type of shrimps best to clean up? Also what's the best technique to clean the tank? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like brown algae. Its common with new tanks and can easily be removed by scrubbing the affected section. My nerites and shrimp cleaned it up pretty quickly when i had just set up my tank.

Back
Top Bottom