Algae and Amano question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am planning on getting some Amano shrimp tomorrow along with some Excel Flourish as I have some bush algae at the moment. I actually think its kind of pretty but do not want it to overtake the tank. If I buy some Amano shrimps will I be killing all of their food? Will the Excel kill every type of algae in my tank? BTW it is a planted tank.

By "bush" algae, I'm assuming BBA (black beard algae)... Amanos won't eat it so killing off their food source isn't the biggest concern at all. You are better off removing the decor with the algae and treating outside of the tank. Shrimp do not do well with Excel in the concentration needed to effect BBA from what I've seen.

Very good to know, I thought the OD with excel sounded a little harsh. The BBA is a tad frustrating though. I'm also going to try some otos too.

Is there a fish that eats BBA? I have three flag fish and they eat some of it but they don't keep it at bay. Funny though, one of my plecos will go over it but the tufts are still there after he passes. Kind of like a lollipop! :)

Flags and juvie SAEs are the only fish that I've ever seen eat it first hand.

Spot treating with H2O2 will help, but if you've got BBA, that usually means you either have too low co2, fluctuating co2, or just too much light.

I have figured it is low CO2 as I only have 2.5 wpg, 3x54 T5HO 65kK. I increased the CO2 but without a drop checker I am going slow and taking pH readings.

How come I can't find a store that sells drop checkers? The lfs by me didn't even know what one was.

I just got 3 flower shrimp and they are going to town on the bba. I will also supplement food for them.

Back
Top Bottom