Algae bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently noticed a lot of white spotted algae on the glass. I don't really want to throw some liquid in there to kill it off considering I have 3 Kuhli loaches and a albino BN pleco. They like to feast on it throughout the day.

I guess my question is how do you contain and maintain it? I want to leave some for my bottom feeders to snack on, but I don't like it when it starts to get thick.

I've been using a sponge to clean the glass and knock it off and I'll siphon it up when I'm doing my water changes. Is this the best want to maintain it without removing it all? Or does this algae just need to completely go away?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Generally a combination of light and nutrients. What type of light and how many hours do you run it? Are there excess nutrients in the tank from feeding? This can be partially answered by checking your nitrate levels. Frequent partial water changes can help combat this. Cutting back the light by a few hours or the intensity will really help with this too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Generally a combination of light and nutrients. What type of light and how many hours do you run it? Are there excess nutrients in the tank from feeding? This can be partially answered by checking your nitrate levels. Frequent partial water changes can help combat this. Cutting back the light by a few hours or the intensity will really help with this too.

Ok thanks. I generally run it for about 12 hours a day, sometimes more. It's a Florescent day spectrum type light. I have a bunch of live plants as well. Idk if this effects algae growth.

What you've described sounds like green spot algae. Some of that on the tank walls shows up even on the best maintained tanks. Weekly cleaning, scraping and partial water change helps keep it at bay.

For the plants, do you run co2? Even with co2, I'd still cut back lighting to 8 hrs or less. Start with 8 hrs. Do you fertilize? Upping phosphate has helped many get rid of green spot. Somewhat contrary to what's general wisdom, but I have personal experience with that.

Other than that, make sure you're not over feeding the fish. If the plants can effectively absorb all the excess nutrients, and lighting is not excessive, algae should be controlled.

Sounds like I'm running the light too long

I think a medium light can run about 8 with minimal algea and a high light about 6 (to me).

On my 30 I have a medium to high Id say that grows everything fine and 8 is the max.
On the 55 Im doing I safetly get about 6 hours before its a problem and there are a TON of plants in there.

Have you thought about running a UV sterilizer intermittently to kill free floating algae before it can settle?
I have one piped in with my 55 I plan to run mainly for a couple hours at night

This was suppose to be a low tech set up. I do boost co2 but that's it

I have Marineland double brights on my 55 gal planted. I ran my lights 10 hours a day and fed the hell outa my fish and BOOM....algae EVERYWHERE. Cut my lights back to 6 a day and used Flourish Excel combined with a few tiger nerites and that was the end of that. Plants are happy and healthy and NO MEAN GREEN in my tank.

In addition to the methods listed above. You can also increase your plant mass. Algae and plants compete for the same nutrient albeit in different ratios. More plants provides the algae less growth material. Every tank is different, amount of light, co2, fertilizers is really going to be trial and error process. I always start with light first( easiest to change) and then start changing ferts. Co2 i usually leave as a control as too much equals dead fish.

Thanks for all the advise guys. I think it's the lights and the root tabs I was using. I stopped using the root tabs because it was killing my shrimp. I only boost co2 every other day.

What kind of lights do yall have? I have the basic florescent setup right now but I would like to get something for night time.

I work early in the mornings so I turn on my lights when I get up and then turn them off when I get off but it's mid day and I can't see my tank.

Any lights to let me see a little inside the tank but also dark enough to prevent growth?

I have finnex 24/7 on mine. Your co2 might be the culprit your plants need co2 whenever the lights are on. Every other day isn't enough. You want co2 available during every photoperiod.
Also I use a timer on my lights, doesn't matter when you have on, just how long.

Thanks gemach. Man I wish I would have listened in my botany class in college lol.

Can you buy timers and rewire it or would it have to be a light fixture with the timer

Can you buy timers and rewire it or would it have to be a light fixture with the timer

Any cheap outlet timer will work for this for this. Prices range from $7-$39 depending on model.

Thanks gemach. You're the man.

After looking at those finnex planted+ 24/7. I might order one lol.

Back
Top Bottom