Algae eating fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have green algae and diatoms. I'm being told different fish/invertebrates will eat green algae and diatoms (amano shrimp, nerite snails, bristlenose plecos, otos, and gouramis) so Idk which ones to go with. I have an oto right now and was gonna get a few more, but if there is something better out there I'll go that route. Which fish/invertebrate will better to eat green algae and diatoms? I also heard/read that plecos are poop machines and not really worth it so I would like to avoid those.

Otto come highly recommended. If you have one you should know if more would be of value.

For your tank id go snails. You got plenty of fish if I remember right. I think you have shrimp eating fish...if so amano is out.

What kind of green algae?

Otto come highly recommended. If you have one you should know if more would be of value.

For your tank id go snails. You got plenty of fish if I remember right. I think you have shrimp eating fish...if so amano is out.

What kind of green algae?

Idk what kind. All I know is it's green and it's on the back glass of my tank.

May be green spot algae or green dust algae. If it comes off easily probably the latter.

Google pictures of those and compare.

Best bet, Bristlenose catfish. Ancistrus sp. you cannot beat the performance of these, and they last a good ten years, they'll easily outperform you me or anything else! The benefits far outweigh the waste output. A decent filter will easily take care of a single Bristlenose.

Some algae is healthy, naturally occurring fauna which provides food.

Try an extra water change, less sunlight, alter the photoperiod, reduce feeding of plants........

An Otto should really be 6 or more ottos....... These are also good, but actually are the same family as (and are also known as) plecs. which is a misnomer. Plec is shortened of plecostomus which is a genus within the family Loricariidae.

I have experience of both Otto and Bristlenose.

Best bet, Bristlenose catfish. Ancistrus sp. you cannot beat the performance of these, and they last a good ten years, they'll easily outperform you me or anything else! The benefits far outweigh the waste output. A decent filter will easily take care of a single Bristlenose.

Some algae is healthy, naturally occurring fauna which provides food.

Try an extra water change, less sunlight, alter the photoperiod, reduce feeding of plants........

An Otto should really be 6 or more ottos....... These are also good, but actually are the same family as (and are also known as) plecs. which is a misnomer. Plec is shortened of plecostomus which is a genus within the family Loricariidae.

I have experience of both Otto and Bristlenose.
Problem is tank over stocked now.

Overstocked tank will cause the necessary influx of nutrients to feed algae.

Go with an extra water change, or one extra bucket at water change time. The latter is easiest as you already have wet hands!

Give it a few weeks and see what happens. Normally as tanks mature (and fish grow) you will need to alter slightly your normal working schedule to better suit the new condition of the (same) tank.

Ask her I cant remember...many threads on the tank if you search.

What exactly are the specifics of the tank.

How big, what volume.....

What stock, exactly.....

What is your schedule......

How big, what volume..... 20 gallon long

What stock, exactly..... 17 fish: 6 cardinal tetras, 3 Celebes rainbows, 1 horseface loach, 1 kribensis, 5 lemon tetras, 1 oto. I can't rehome any fish cuz none of my friends or family members have fish tanks and with my mom's busy work schedule I can't get to my lfs to trade them in.

What is your schedule...... 40-50% weekly water changes and I gravel vac every time.

What is the light cycle?

How long are the normal lights on?

How long are the blue lights on?

How long are there no lights on?

How long are the normal lights on? 4 hrs.

How long are the blue lights on? 4 hrs.

How long are there no lights on? 16 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom