Algae Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also there is a bit of a white film on the surface of the water. Any idea what this could be?

I checked about turning one of the bulbs down and this fixture will not work unless both bulbs are in.

How to Fix the alge bloom

Hey I had the same problem in my tank to a degree I had 3 white cloud mountain minnows in my aquagrande 120 (285litre 4ft tank) it had 3 3ft lights in it as standard 1 power glo 1 marine glo and a normal house hold tube for extra light density as 2 power glo's made it look too dark it's a planted tank fresh tropical water I had a perfect ph of 6.95 I have 3 java fern's 6 anubias's heaps of java moss growing on the driftwood to growing off the rocks and of course all across the bottom and the lighting wasn't stong enough to get to it all all with in 15 cm from the bottom part from some of the anubias's on the wood but they were all in a point of not growing just laying dormant but that didn't stop the alge dots on the glass on the plant leaves and the hair alge that grown in a week whilst I was on holidays there was about 4kgs of it so I decided to cut the lights down from 10hrs to 6hrs It hasn't stoped the alge but just changed it color from green to brown I did a light upgrade from the tubes to a metal halide light and some shrimps to feed on the alge on the leaves and help the plants grow higher I feed the fish the minimal amount of flake food they are still breeding tho which is weird because the only breed in tanks outdoors under the summer weather so the filteration is all fine as is the gh and kh is hardness its less than .01ppm and .02ppm for each and 0.00% chorine I have no charcoal and a temp of 25.2 degree's and heaps of aeration in the water besides the wet dry trickle filter I have a four way air pump all on air stones

So in concusion (I don't recommend snails) your lighting may be a factor but the penetration if your plants are starved for light the lesser organisms like alge will flourish so if your plants are green and growing tall and heathy it will stave the alge of food but don't over feed your tank as this stuff will eat the left overs from what the fish and plants don't as a plants eat the crap from the fish and rotting food turn it into oxygen but they need enough light to do so if they don't they lie dormat like in winter/autumn work on that problem first and let me know how you go hope this helps sorry if I rambled on but hey all the facts are there to compare

My tank is being OVERRUN with algae. Please help guys it looks horrible. Lights are usually only on for about 10 hours. I bought some algae eating shrimp two days ago but it seems they have disappeared. I need something to power through the algae. I would like either a bristle nose pleco or some time of snail. I would prefer a couple of snails if I can get away with it. Now I also want to make sure that they will clean the algae off of my plants as well, Amazon Sword has a lot on it, but when they clean it I want something that won't eat the leaves as well. What do you guys think? I am also going to order some Flourish Excel, not only as a carbon source but also to get rid of the algae. Now I have heard rumors that Excel will melt Vals, which I have, is this true? Here are some pics so you can see what it looks like.

Last edited:
Also there is a bit of a white film on the surface of the water. Any idea what this could be?

It is hair alge starting to grow (trust my you don't want it) my opinion is some sort of shrimp and/or more fish stock to eat it as they eat it naturally

Back
Top Bottom