algae in tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yago

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 100 gallon tank. It has been up for two months. I have a couple of mollies just to sar the cycle. It has allready cycled. But i am having trouble with green algae. I have been changing the water about 30% at atime . I am keeping what little mess there out the tank. But the stuff shows back uo in 4 or 5 days. I have live plants that i am growing,. I dont want to use chemicals, but i will if i can't control this algae bloom. It grows on the tank glass, and everything. Any body have any suggestions.

Algae needs one of two things to grow.Too much light, or over feeding.

What kind of fish are you panning on keeping? Algae is a primary food supply for certain fish species.

Algae requires nutrients and light to thrive. I don't know how much nitrate you might have in this tank, since it would be hard for a couple of mollies to produce enough ammonia to cycle a 100gal tank with any nitrate left over, but excess nitrate can do it, as can excess light, usually with an overly long photoperiod.

Measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and post back with that, as that'll be the place to start.

If lighting and nutrients are inadequate for the plants, however, algae will gain the upper hand. Creating the perfect environment for healthy plant growth will go the longest way towards eliminating algae.

BTW, can you describe the algae more so we might know what kind it is, i.e., hairy, long and stringy, hard and difficult to scrape, etc?

I was having problems with the "black" algae stuff (looks black and is long kinda like hair), but I solved the problem by adding a flying fox. This is a great fish and from what I'm told it's the only that eats this certain type of algae. They look pretty cool and he is pretty active and ever since about an hour after I put him in the tank he will stay near the glass and not be scared if I put my hand next to the glass or something like that. Very cool.

I had the same problem too I found that during the day while I was gone the sun was getting to my tank. I now have the blinds closed and the algea problem has left

Limit your light and nutrients. Like Michellej, my prob was sunlight hitting my tank

Get a pleco! They'll eat the algae up.. mollies feed on algae too.. but it's probably too much for them.

Back
Top Bottom