Almost a full cycle in 26 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m0stUniQue

Aquarium Advice Activist
As you know I've been fish in cycling and for 3 weeks had nothing but ammonia and for 3 weeks and the last five days ammonia started dropping and nitrite rose for a day next day to my surprise 3ppm of nitrate, and for the last 3 days nitrite`s been dropping last night little over 1 ppm of trite and 5-10 trates and now inbewteen .25 and .5 trites and 10-20 trates i`m hoping by the end of the week i`ll be cycled, but i`ve got my bucket and bottle `o prime out just in case. My mom is setting up a five gallon and because of a lfs employee i ended up^with 2 of 2 different tetras so i`m going to fish in cycle with those and return them because i cant have two full school. so my stocking is 2 angelfish juvie and that`s it i``m thinking of a gbr or bolivian and a school of emperor tetras or something along that line anything else you`d suggest for a stocking plan everything`s welcome but angels are staying :p Can`t wait for this cycle to end,
Troy
p.s any input is appreciated and thanked :)

I'm not a stocking expert by any means but if the angels are a breeding pair then having them with any other fish is going to be difficult as they can get very aggressive. Also not sure about the 2 angels in a 29 gal; maybe it's OK, I'm reading conflicting info on whether they need a bigger tank (yours may be juveniles now but they can get BIG and aggressive; I doubt the 29 is going to hold 2 for very long, but I could be wrong). I don't think angels like small fast fish (tetras etc); you might be OK with a ram if it was with 1 Angel; not sure about two.

I would start another thread and clearly title it something like "stocking 29 gal with Angels" or something and see what others say.

As for the 5 gal; is this a new tank you are going to cycle? What are you going to put in it (5 gals aren't good for too much except shrimp and a betta or some nano fish like chili rasbora). I would suggest fishless cycling the 5 gal tank and spare the tetras of having to go through the cycle.

As for the fish-in cycle with the 29, it's good the levels are coming down. Personally ammonia or nitrite over .25 is potentially toxic and I would have done a water change a long time ago if nitrite was as high as 1. I'm glad it's coming down, though. There are links in my signature: new tank with fish and new empty tank; one is for fish-in cycling and one is for fishless. It seems like your fish-in cycle is about done but read the guide anyway, it might help. And I'd suggest fishless cycling the 5 gal, but that's just my opinion. :D

Good luck.

Yeah they're not a breeding pair and I will watch them and if aggression starts ill have to rehome 1 and I'm thinking. Fish less cycle and shes thinking two African dwarf frogs thanks for your help :)
Troy

Back
Top Bottom