Am I overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yhbae

Aquarium Advice Activist
Haven't asked this question for a while, but before introducing changes to the tank, I thought it might be a good idea to get it checked out...

25g tank - current setup (2.5ft):
- 5 Platies (1.3 inches)
- 2 Blue Ram (2 inches, both male)
- 4 Panda Cories (1.2 inches)
- 5 Harlequin Rasboras (1.3 inches)
- 4 Albino Bristlenose Pl*cos (1.8 inches)

- Lots of java ferns
- Some java moss

Ph is at 7.2, KH is at 2 and nitrate is close to zero (I guess due to plants). So far, absolutely no water parameter problems - all readings are super stable.

Even the above by itself should be considered overstocked if they are fully grown, but I have few more tanks to distribute them as they grow up further (especially bristlenoses and platies).

I'd like to do the following for the 25g:
- 4 Platies (2 different colors, 1 inch each)
- 2 Blue Rams (this time, 1 male and 1 female!)
- 4 Panda Cories (1.2 inches)
- 5 Harlequin Rasboras (1.3 inches)
- 2 Albino Bristlenose Pl*Cos (1.8 inches)
- 6 Cardinal Tetras (1.5 inches)
- 4 Cories (debating between sterbai and adolfoi)
- 4 Amano Shrimps (about 1 inch, will they survive in this tank?)

It looks overstocked just imagining the tank... :D

Well I know to normal stocking perameters your current tank seems overstocked, but as long as the nitrites/nitrates stay down, the fish look healthy, and they are growing to proper size, I wouldnt worry about what the textbook limit is. For your new tank plan, a question. Are you going to try and breed the platies and rams? This raises the issue of increase fish numbers in your tank. Also, if Rams are anything like my kribs, your fish may have even less room once the rams breed. Oh and by the way, what sp. of ram?

Of course, ammonia and nitrites are zero, and nitrates also stay close to zero. Fishes are doing great - all species are growing quite nicely.

I have separate breeding setups so this tank will never be used for the breeding purpose. I will move out any pairs that show signs of breeding. This tank is located in the living room (my first tank) for show purpose only. I only put female platy fries in this tank so they will not breed (besides they will be too small anyways). I do have a separate platy breeding/grow out tanks.

Still, I feel the new plan might overstock the tank...

My rams are the usual "blue ram". One of the two really developed well with lots of colors and super long fins but the other one looks pretty ugly, and I think it is a male as well... The colorful one always chases after the lesser one.

I say no big deal, it is obvious to me that you have a handle on your water quality, so if you want to go a little bit extra on the fish community vs the standard "inches per gallon" then I say go for it

My 70G currently has at least 150-200 guppies at the current moment and an untold amount of plecos, 4 species wide. I just scoop out a few nets full of grown guppies or plecs when it gets too thick and I sell 'em to LFS.

That tank has been running for years.

Just keep up with extra water changes. Though I prefer a largly understocked tank and am not too fond of the crowded look.

SMonkey it depends on the LFS and their mood, but usually about a buck a pair or a so. They're really nice guppies too so I think that's cheap.

Sometimes I just trade for stuff, my last netful of guppies I traded for 4 Clown Loaches priced at 7.99ea.

I just net em when they're eating. Easy swipe.

snapcrackler said:
I say no big deal, it is obvious to me that you have a handle on your water quality, so if you want to go a little bit extra on the fish community vs the standard "inches per gallon" then I say go for it

My 70G currently has at least 150-200 guppies at the current moment and an untold amount of plecos, 4 species wide. I just scoop out a few nets full of grown guppies or plecs when it gets too thick and I sell 'em to LFS.

That tank has been running for years.

Nice to hear your feedback!

I do 25% water change weekly and all sinking foods are fed starting 2 days before the water change day, highly localized in one area so that I can thoroughly vac the waste off during water change before they get a chance to rot. I think this seems to help keep water clean without much effort.

I guess I'm trying to do the same you are doing already, but at much smaller scale with platies. So far, it's working, it pays for all the maintenance cost... :D

tkos, that was my original goal as well - super low maintenance tank but I can't seem to get my mind off the tank! I just keep buying fishes and tanks (ouch).

Back
Top Bottom