ammonia after new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave2010

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi my water readings have changed since adding 5 more fish to my aquarium yesterday, my ammonia reading came back as between 0.3 and 0.6 and my no3 came back as 10 and no2 came back as 1. Is this normal because my filter needs to just catch up and accomidate new bacteria to handle waste from more fish? The fish all seem completely fine and healthy, should I do anything or just keep an eye on my water readings over the next few days. Also my ph reading doesn't show up on my ph chart ever the colour is completely different, is this ok? The fish seem fine and I don't want to add chemicals to try to change the ph. Any help will be appreciates. Thanks

I've just taken another look at my ph reading and it seems to have changed colour, its showing between 7.6 and 8.0, maybe I should wait longer and give it chance to change colour next time

What size is your tank and what was in it before?

Your cycle does probably need to just catch up with the bioload but will probably require some attention from you in the mean time. A few water changes to keep your ammo and nitrite(NO2) in check will be good. I probably wouldn't let anything get above .50 so would do a water change now to get that nitrite down below .50 and then retest tomorrow. How long this mini cycle will last depends really on a few different things. Tank size, what type of fish you added and their bioload.

edit - you may need to just let your ph test sit longer. Mine needs to sit for 5 minutes before reading. Generally PH isn't a big issue provided you aren't trying to keep sensitive fish

Thanks for your reply, my tank is a 180litre, I have a small royal pleco a platty and a kuhli loach, yesterday I added three mollys and two pearl gourmai. I done roughly a ten percent water change, when I was scooping out the water into my bucket the gouramis seemed really curious and came up to my hand and their feelers kept coming forward and touching me, once I changed the water I got a algae tablet and tried hand feeding my royal pleco as I was moving slowley down the tank to not scare or startle the pleco the one gourmai tried eating the tablet out of my hand then the second gourmai either bit my thumb or bumped my thumb which made me jump! Do gourmais bite or did he just bump into me because I had food! I'm going to be nervous adding my plecos cucumber now haha!

Back
Top Bottom