Ammonia Present in Cycled Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just tested my water, and the ammonia test is dark green!! The tank has been cycled for about 10 months. No recent deaths. The fish, even my German Ram, are all very active, and not showing any stress! No ammonia burns, etc. I'm confused. 0 nitrites, haven't done the nitrate test because I need to leave soon. Is the test kit bad? Got it last year. I'll retest when I get back. Just did a 50% water change yesterday.

Could possibly be bad, that is where I would start, it should have a expiration date on it somewhere. Try the test again. I'd do a PWC either way just to be on the safe side.

My electric blue died of ammonia burns at. .2 ppm for no more than 4-5 days!, had to be a fluke..

I would think its a faulty reading. If it was truly that high, your fish would be showing signs of distress.

Just did another test. The liquid is light green. Not as bad as before but all my fish (ram, Otos, tetras, Cory cats, guppy and platy) are fine. I would imagine that at least the ram and Otos would show stress from the 'ammonia' that's in the tank??

Have you recently tested your tap water as it can change. That would be my guess and the reason it's going down is because your BB is processing it as quickly as possible. Check for nitrites also now just in case. And if needed 1/15th teaspoon of Aquarium Salt for every 10 gallons of tank water will counteract 1ppm of nitrites. At that low level it is also safe for plants and delicate fish.

I am going though the same thing at the moment and came here looking for answers. This past week, my ammonia went up to .25. At first so wasn't to concerned and thought that the BB would take care of that quickly. After 3 days, I came back from work and they were still at .25. Now I am worried. When I go back tomorrow, I will have to test the tap water and see if that has changed. I am due for my weekly water change on Wednesday so I am hoping that helps a little.
There are no dead fish or plants in the tank and I didn't feed the fish for three days. Minus the idea of the tap water, are there any other ideas as to why I could be having this issue.
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: between 10-20ppm
Ph: 6.5
Last water change was Thanksgiving.

Have you recently tested your tap water as it can change. That would be my guess and the reason it's going down is because your BB is processing it as quickly as possible. Check for nitrites also now just in case. And if needed 1/15th teaspoon of Aquarium Salt for every 10 gallons of tank water will counteract 1ppm of nitrites. At that low level it is also safe for plants and delicate fish.

Thanks, I'll test my tap water and my ammonia and nitrite levels in the tank again. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the tap water. We have well water, surrounded by farm fields and who knows what is draining into our well! Last winter our tap water tested with super high nitrates ( highest the test would go). Somehow all the fish made it through! So I will need to make sure to test the tap water often again this winter...

Just did some more tests. Tap has 0 ammonia. The tank in question showed light green in the test. No nitrites. Tested another tank as well, 0 ammonia.

I'd do another big WC and see if it goes down. If it doesn't then something in the tank is causing it.

Back
Top Bottom