Ammonia rose in my cycled tank!? Is my fish going to be ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneamals

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently finished fishless cycling both the main tank and the quarantine, a little over a week ago. About 3 days ago, I got my first fish, and he's in the quarantine. The quarantine is 3 gallons, I know, really small, but it's just temporary and it's what I already had at home. The fish is a little male Platy.

The thing is, I came home a little late, and immediately went to feed the fish, and I noticed he was sticking to the surface, like trying to breathe the air. And when I dropped some flakes, he would chase after them, but then stop half way, and wouldn't eat them. It's like he WANTED to eat them, but couldn't.

So I checked Nitrates, just about 5-10ppm. Nitrites, 0ppm. Ammonia, 0.25ppm! And I freaked out and immediately did about a 25% water change, I think. I just know I removed almost a gallon from the tank. Then he slowly started to calm down and swim more in the middle, so I threw in some flakes again, and he ate them! So I was super relieved.

In the water change, I also cleaned the fluffy filter media sack, with the carbon inside. I only swished it around in the bucket of tank water. I think the carbon is done now though, might have to replace it soon.

But my questions are, is this normal? For the ammonia to suddenly rise one day, even though the tank is cycled? Is it just because the cycle is new? Will it happen again? Can I prevent it? Did the ammonia hurt my fish in any way? I'm scared it's going to happen again tomorrow while I'm away for hours at the university. I'm the only one, in my house, who knows how to test the water and change it.

.25 ppm ammonia is perfectly safe. Unless your ph is around 8.5 your fish will be perfectly fine with 0.5ppm.

Its likely there was just too small of an amount of oxygen in the water. Try increasing the surface agitation or running an airstone.

How did you cycle the 3g tank?

How big is main tank? How long did you run cycle. Almost sounds like your still in cycle stage

Three gallon tanks are tiny and are subject to all sorts of water chemistry issues. I'd recommend using a larger quarantine tank. If that's not possible, do daily water changes and use Prime or some other ammonia-binding water conditioner.

Maybe I misread it. Is the platy in quarantine tank? If so what filtration are you running? Doesn't take much to throw a 3 gallon tank off

Its likely there was just too small of an amount of oxygen in the water. Try increasing the surface agitation or running an airstone.

On second thought, this is most likely your problem.

I'd still recommend a larger tank, though. Even 5 gallons would be a lot easier to maintain.

Yes, the fish is in the quarantine, not the main tank. The pH is a bit high, 8.2. I guess little oxygen could be a possibility. I will try putting the airstone that is in the main tank, into the quarantine. And yes, I think I should try getting a 10 gallon or 5 gallon tank. But I don't think I have the time right this moment, might be a while till I can get it, and then I'll have to cycle it. I am using Prime as the water conditioner, added some when I changed the water. The filter I'm running is a Top Fin 30 power filter. I know Top Fin sucks, but it came with the main tank, and since it's meant for 30 gallons, I thought it'd do great on a 3 gallon! Should I get another filter for the quarantine?

Thank you all for all the answers!

I will try to get a new quarantine tank, 5 gallons or more. Right now I don't have the time, but I'll try soon.

The airstone is now in the quarantine, and I waited to see how the fish reacts. He is looking much better now. He is slowly lowering from the surface, and swimming around everywhere else. I think it was the low oxygen! Just in case, I added a bit more of Prime into the water.

I read 0.25ppm of ammonia again. The fish was also sticking to the surface again and barely moving. My mom fed him a little bit (I was away) and she said he didn't seem to notice it at first, but then after a while went to catch and eat the flakes. Then he went back to the siraface and barely moved again. I changed the water, replacing an entire gallon out of the 3 gallon tank, and added a cap full of prime. He then slowly started moving around again, but is back to the surface and not wanting to move much. Occasionally he lowers himself to pick around, but then goes back up to the surface.

The airstone is in the tank, causing lots of bubbles. The power filter's waterfall is also making bubbles, especially now that I lowered the water level a little. I don't think it's the oxygen anymore.

I guess I should just get a bigger quarantine tank for him. I'm hoping I can go to Petsmart on Saturday evening or Sunday morning. I might get a 10 gallon tank. But I'll have to get another filter too, and cycle it. So hopefully the fish can wait long enough. I will continue doing daily water changes, and I will try feeding him less, to see if the ammonia can stop rising. I would feed him 2 pinches of flakes every morning and night, but I will reduce it to 2 pinches of flakes once a day.

Anymore advice? Or other possibilities to why the strange behavior?

Oh, I almost forgot. During the cycle, the pH rose from 7.5 to 8.2. But I tested the pH yesterday, and it said the pH was back to 7.5. Is that change affecting the fish?
Also, if it means anything, the temperature in the tank ranges from 82*F to 86*F. (I live in a very hot, tropical place.)
And I feed the fish, fish flakes that have spirulina, garlic, some veggies, etc. I also rarely feed him freeze-dried bloodworms.

Ok, the fish is acting better this morning. But I'm pretty sure it's going to happen again tonight. He still goes to the surface quite a lot. But he eats and does swim around lower.

I guess I should just get a bigger quarantine tank for him. I'm hoping I can go to Petsmart on Saturday evening or Sunday morning. I might get a 10 gallon tank. But I'll have to get another filter too, and cycle it. So hopefully the fish can wait long enough. I will continue doing daily water changes, and I will try feeding him less, to see if the ammonia can stop rising. I would feed him 2 pinches of flakes every morning and night, but I will reduce it to 2 pinches of flakes once a day.

Anymore advice? Or other possibilities to why the strange behavior?

Oh, I almost forgot. During the cycle, the pH rose from 7.5 to 8.2. But I tested the pH yesterday, and it said the pH was back to 7.5. Is that change affecting the fish?
Also, if it means anything, the temperature in the tank ranges from 82*F to 86*F. (I live in a very hot, tropical place.)
And I feed the fish, fish flakes that have spirulina, garlic, some veggies, etc. I also rarely feed him freeze-dried bloodworms.

I'd reduce feeding to once a day our once every other day. The extra food is definitely contributing to the ammonia.
With such a small tank, something that wouldn't normally be a big deal can throw things off though.

As far as the pH goes, a slow swing won't bother him, but it shouldn't do that often, not very good in the long term.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd reduce feeding to once a day our once every other day. The extra food is definitely contributing to the ammonia.
With such a small tank, something that wouldn't normally be a big deal can throw things off though.

As far as the pH goes, a slow swing won't bother him, but it shouldn't do that often, not very good in the long term.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Thank you so much! That does make sense that little things can throw a small tank off. I will definitely get that bigger tank soon. I just hope it cycles fast enough. XD

Back
Top Bottom