and this is why so many people give up the aquarium hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well I was at petsmart today to get some ghost shrimp, food etc just normal food and maintenance stuff, and was in the fish section, and this little girl about the age of oh 10 or so, was wanting to get fish for her little 5gall....(this child was a freakin brat to, ) so I was in line behind them waiting, and this new guy (that obviously knew nothing about fish) was helping them, from what I could tell she had a newly set up 5gall, with one male guppy, and so she wanted a zebra danio, and the guy told her that it needed at least a 10 (I was thinking 20 but whatever) and so she pitched a fit and decided she wanted a long fin danio and he said that would be fine :?: umm that makes NO sense what so ever...as the long fins are usually bigger, and the story gets longer and more aggravating, but as it turns out her nitrates were off the chart and they refused to sell her fish...thank gosh, but still I was pretty sad when he told her she could have the long fin....... :roll: uggg workers like that I just wanna push them out of the way and do it myself :lol:

I was at Petsmart over the weekend looking for cat supplies. I always mosey by the fish department, it's in my nature. I couldn't BELIEVE the tanks. They were spotless but the information they had posted about fish was incorrect. I found 1 tag that was correct. And that was that ghost shrimp are fine in 1+ gal. Bala Sharks only grow to 6 inches and are fine in a 20 gal? Clown loaches stop at 5 inches and live healthy lives in a 20 gal? Apparently Africans are great for 10 gal tanks. It blew my mind. I expressed my disgust to the employee, set down the bag of cat food, 2 containers of liter, and misc cat toys and left.

Fishyfanatic said:
I was at Petsmart over the weekend looking for cat supplies. I always mosey by the fish department, it's in my nature. I couldn't BELIEVE the tanks. They were spotless but the information they had posted about fish was incorrect. I found 1 tag that was correct. And that was that ghost shrimp are fine in 1+ gal. Bala Sharks only grow to 6 inches and are fine in a 20 gal? Clown loaches stop at 5 inches and live healthy lives in a 20 gal? Apparently Africans are great for 10 gal tanks. It blew my mind. I expressed my disgust to the employee, set down the bag of cat food, 2 containers of liter, and misc cat toys and left.

FWIW, Petsmart is starting to fix this issue. Here is an outtake from this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=87966

JPS said:
Thanks for all your help. Hobbyists coming together in a cooperative spirit supporting a worthwhile effort and shared concern produces results! Progress is being made. An update of details:

We have obviously been sending letters and e-mails. Turns out lots of them. They made it to the desks of the addressees and were routed to the DVM responsible for Quality Assurance.

We have spoken with Dr. Saint-Erne. We have exchanged e-mails. The topic of concern that is the common thread of the exchanges is Accuracy In Information as it relates to:

•Context of data provided. Point of applicability to the time continuum defined by the life of the particular fish.
•Point of Origin. Turns out that the data provided (South America, Africa…) was not intended as consumer data. Rather it is plan-o-gram data for use by store associates when stocking tanks. A bit confusing.
•Fish Size. The primary source to be utilized was provided nearly two weeks ago. PetSmart has suggested several secondary sources as well as asking for hobbyist input for additional resources.
•Stocking Guidelines. Currently the 1” per gallon rule. They will examine alternative methods.
•Tank Size. They recognize clarity of information issue. Currently defined by need at time of purchase. We are striving to achieve a size based upon authoritative resources that describe “typical size achieved in home aquaria”. A tough task.
•Additives. Some signage suggests a certain additive. The utility of which is questionable depending upon actual chemistry of source water and changes that may be occurring as a consequence of substrate of other décor.
•Care Guide water testing description.
•The Care Guides in general.

The discussions and correspondence have demonstrated the willingness of PETsMART to include hobbyists and customers in the process. It does not mean that every item people dislike or could argue with will be changed. Rather, the information will be provided in a fashion that is clear to the consumer and is clearly based on “authoritative resources”. We can ask for no better commitment than that.

7Enigma said:
blazeyreef,

A newly set up tank that had sky high nitrAtes?

I bet they have well water and the nitrates are due to fertilizer runoff.

I haven't been too impressed with my local PetSmart aquarium section. I guess partly because I've been spoiled by the three excellent aquarium stores within 1/2 hour of my apartment!

However, I do commend PetSmart on the way they house and sell small animals. I recently purchased some fancy mice (see my avatar) and was quizzed about my cage setup, which impressed me - first time I was ever asked this kind of question in a lps. The cages are uncrowded and kept clean - believe me, you could smell it if they were not! I spoke for awhile with the small animal manager and learned that each PetSmart store only houses one sex. This eliminates the irresponsible rodent breeding that goes on in most lps. Plus, they quarrantine new shipments for at least three weeks! They buy their small animals from select breeders (not mills) and it's clear that they have been handled extensively since weaning.

Hopefully the corporate brass at PetSmart will bring the aquarium section up to par with the small animal section.

I like Petsmart myself. They are a business after all and their job is to make money. I think their selection is very good, particularly the saltwater section where prices are competitive and fair. That blurb posted looks more like corporate public relations control than any sort of change or investigation into policies.

I hope it does lead to changes. My husband and I will not shop at PetsMart for any products until we see an improvement in their aquarium situation.

Have a look at www.noclownsinacube.com; PetsMart is making an effort far above and beyond to improve the situation, and I shop there every week happily. There are negatives about that store, but for a chain they do a great job for homeless animals, and are starting to carry some really top-of-the-like products. The dog and cat food selection is starting to include some super-premium foods, and they really are responding to the aquarists who are trying to make a difference.

There are 3 of the chain pet stores here in saskatoon Petcetera, Petsmart, and Petland. I Only shop at Petsmart And Petland tho as Petcetera is gross as for cleanlieness and the staff no nothing. I have tooken advantage of this many times as I will phone when they have a new shipment of plants in and go and pick out all the expensive ones that are worth like $10 and they label them wrong and I end up getting them for like $1.99. The fish are tiny also it is buy one get two free! That shows something right there and all of the fish have ich and it is a living hell in there it makes me mad! Petsmart is ok also but they know nothing about there fish and keep them pretty healthy and will buy from them on occasions and the fish are pretty cheap also. Petland is my favorite store in the city becuase there fish are all healthy and the staff are pretty well all knowledgeable. They keep the tanks shining and provide large tanks without overstocking them. All of the tanks have cover for the fish to hide in also and they are realxed. The staff catches the fish fast with lease amount of stress possible.The thing I like the most about it is they have biotope tanks etup with live plants and driftwood and everything setup to eduacate people. They have a goldfish biotope, an african cichlid biotope, a SA cichlid biotope, A CA cichlid biotope, an Asian biotope, and lastly a HUGE pond like tank with Large Oscars in it.I also like this store becuase when you buy anything else like reptiles, birds, small animals anything like that you must fill out two pages of information and sign it saying if you must surender the pet you must notify Petland and all of this other information. They will sell no live animals to children under 18 without parental consent also.I think that this is a ood store and I have written letters voicing my concerns to all three of these stores. There is also a Specialty SW Shop here to which is EXCELLENT check it out baysidecorals.com It Is an awesome mom and pop shop! There is also two A-1 Aquariums and a World of Pets which are Mom and Pop shops also but I refuse to buy anything from them due to the fact that they question and question where we buy our equipment or fish and get all defensive and grouchy when you mention another LFS. I understand the competition with a chain buy they should not act like that! Baysidecorals however the guy who owns it will recomend me to go to Petland if he does not have something I need which is great as well as Petland recomending him. My point is that out of 7 LFS here in Saskatoon I will only shop at three of them one being SW So basically two of them...Thats not really right I should be able to shope whereever but I can't becuase they are run by Very Smart Idiots. I say that becuase most of there customers do not know fish and will trust the employees. A care sheet at one of the LFS will say Clown Loach 20g and people will see the cute little loach and buy one for there 20g tank not knowing. When you think about it tho the stores cannot put Clown Loach 75g+ tank becasue people do not have that large of tanks so all and all they have to lie like this or they would go broke...

physicsdude said:
I like Petsmart myself. They are a business after all and their job is to make money. I think their selection is very good, particularly the saltwater section where prices are competitive and fair. That blurb posted looks more like corporate public relations control than any sort of change or investigation into policies.

Wow I didn't know some PetSmarts have a SW section. None of the 2 local ones do.

Well, the girl will probably give up the hobby because she's a brat and will get bored when the novelty wears off. But I see what you're saying. I always want to butt in and do it myself, I just don't know the etiquette for it.

I stopped going to PetsMart when they got rid of their excellent plant section and went with those prepacked ones. bleh.

I tend to just stay quiet if an employee is around. I just don't want the headache of having to deal with that. I have asked on occasion what size tank they had, etc. and have outright lied to them if they want something they shouldn't have. For example instead of saying, "oh that bala shark will get much too large for your 10 gallon tank", I'll say, "Those are very mean fish that will attack each other and try to jump out of the tank".

Yes its inaccurate, but I've found that works MUCH better than telling them it will quickly outgrow their tank. The lesser of two evils or some such.

I can also say I do enjoy my local Petco, but there was the one fish that just looked so depressed and his colors were dull. I thought he was dead for a second because he was not moving. Staff were friendly and I can verify that the small animals looked very happy including the birds and snakes, but the poor betta idk about him. Most of their tanks were not running but I still do enjoy the store because of nostalgia. My grandma would always take me there and buy her late dog Zoey treats she was a beautiful :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course the condition of the tanks and knowledge of the people at Petco and PetSmart depend on the employees at any given store.... that may or may not know anything about fish.

This is in contrast to a privately owned LFS who's owners are most always aquarium hobbyist themselves..

Would any sane person take advice about a dog or a cat from someone who never had neither and is just there to sell you one? . it should be no different with fish.

I mainly buy cat stuff from there, but the people in my particular location have always known a little more than the absolute requirement. I do not buy fish from there but most of the time their bettas are looking good in their little cup things, except for occasional sad one. But otherwise they're typically fine

I can only vouch based on my memories and recent experience but my location has always had the fish in good shape. Sure they're a big retailer but they're way better than some. The live plants I'll get from large chain stores. I do know they are very different, but for my location the general quality is good. A lot of the tanks were empty though but that has happened before in the past for periods of time. Honestly I'd rather buy online there's a wider selection and variations in price (both good and bad) and way way more fish.

This thread started out from 2007. Many things have changed thankfully. Always depends upon the staff.

Many of the employees work there because of the kinds of pets they DO keep and usually is not the fish - dogs, cats and reptiles.

Our local big box stores, both have signs up showing the mature sizes of the fish and telling what sizes of tanks the will need, this especially at Petco where the Aquatics department manager is passionate about fish.

Things are better now than in 2007!!!

I think it depends on location. One petsmart about 30 mins from me is pretty good, the other one is horrible. All of the pet is near me suck too. There is a place called super pet down the road from me that is the most miserable pet store I’ve ever seen (ppl are literally actively trying to get it closed). So I do all my fish/coral shopping online or at the one really good reef store 15 minutes away which is an aquaculture facility.

But saying petsmart is good or bad is wholly dependent on the staff. Some are good, some are ok and some are real bad. Just depends

There is a Petco near me, Im in central NJ which has been my go to fish store. For the most part, tanks are clean, most fish look good and most workers there are pretty knowledgeable with fish.

Notice the use of the word "most".
Can't say the same about the Petsmart near me, I wouldn't buy anything there. So they do vary from location to location.

Back
Top Bottom