Angelfish tank mates.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molson_28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting a 90 gallon planted angelfish tank. Just wondering what are good tank mates for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes to anything that they can't eat and no to anything nippy. Neons and cardinal tetras are out. Rummynoses, Pristella, Emperor and Lemon tetras are all good.

Serpae tetras, tiger barbs and dwarf loaches are too nippy.

Mine get along great with my beta and lemon tetras. One of my yoyo loaches is way bigger. She sometimes butts the Angels out of the way but the Angels are definitely in charge of the tank.

Are you starting with adult or juvenile angelfish because that can potentially change the answer! Lots of larger tetras could be a good choice. Depending on how many angels and how densely planted you could consider a dwarf cichlid or two like a german blue ram or maybe an apistogramma species.

I keep my angel in the tank with the following: clown loaches, german ram, geophagus, giant danios, denison barb and small algae eaters (can't remember the name). NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

My 4 year old tank with the same tenants....
2 angels
1 discus
3 rams

Couldn't ask for a more peaceful tank.

Are you starting with adult or juvenile angelfish because that can potentially change the answer! Lots of larger tetras could be a good choice. Depending on how many angels and how densely planted you could consider a dwarf cichlid or two like a german blue ram or maybe an apistogramma species.

Could you elaborate on starting with juvenile angelfish please? That's what I am doing.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've kept angels with my large school of cardinal tetras and a few ember tetras for over a year with no issues. I've also kept angels with loaches, SAE's, ember tetras, threadfin rainbows, German blue rams, Bolivian ram and a guppy :). Granted the angels grew up with them, and there is no guarantee that the angels wouldn't make a snack out them if they grow large enough.

Could you elaborate on starting with juvenile angelfish please? That's what I am doing.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you're starting with juveniles you have a chance at successfully keeping some smaller species like neon or cardinal tetras with them. If you introduce the small tetras when the angelfish's mouths are too small to swallow them whole; then they may never look at the little fish as a snack!

I've kept Mine with a large school of black neons, khuli loaches, albino Cory cats, and otos for serval years now

I've kept mine with
Bolivian Rams
Harlequin rasboras
Platies
Mollies
Swordtails
Angelicus loaches
Geophagus sp. red head tapajos
Honey gourami
Betta
Paradise fish
Limia sp. tiger

Other fish that could do well are
Kribensis
Apistogramma
German blue Rams
Zebra loaches
Dwarf chain loaches
Larger non-nippy tetras
Kuhli loaches
Rainbow fish
Cherry barbs
Pearl gourami

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom