Angels, will they be ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Useful information
--------------

45 gallon tank:
1 Breeding pair of German blue rams
8 Rummy Nose Tetras
2 Neon tetras ------>VVV
4 Peppered cories (Don't bug me about the numbers, I'm adding more soon (y))

Tank is about 3 months old
Ph: Lower than lowest on API test kit :p
Temp:82* F
Moderately -Heavily planted

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questions:

1) Will the angels eat my neons? I've had them for ages, would hate for them to become treats now :l.

2) How many angels should I get if I do?

- 1 m/f

- 2 fm

- 3 fm

- 1m 1fm (breeding pair)

3) What should I feed? I have (but can buy more)

Hikari bloodworms (freeze dried)

Hikari Mini cichlid pellets

Omega 1 shrimp pellets

Tetra Tropical flakes

Sorry for sort of long read, and thank you for your help! :thanks:

2)

Not sure if this helps, I have the same dilemma with angels and neons. I have been advised by 3 separate aquariums' staff that when the angels a full grown, they will eat the neons. another said that if the tank is large enough with hiding places, the angels shouldn't bother them.

With serpae tetras in my tank, it was suggested that these with the angels would basically mean that all other fish would be left alone as these 2 species nut it out.

My tank is four foot and will be well stocked, so I will be giving it a go, especially since my neons need a new home in the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also a minimum 2 angels should help prevent them from becoming aggressive toward other fish. Not sure about gender mix, though a breeding pair would probably distract them from your neons.

Also a minimum 2 angels should help prevent them from becoming aggressive toward other fish. Not sure about gender mix, though a breeding pair would probably distract them from your neons.

I've heard mixed things about the breeding pair... some say it will occupy them, while others say it will make them more aggressive :l

I have 2 males (I think - easier to sex when older) but they are still quite young, a couple of times the serpaes have had a go but very quickly backed off when the angels spun around. The angels tend to ignore my corys completely even when they are in their faces, and swim the entire tank, mostly together.
The moderate to heavy planting would help with the neons, and if you get smaller angels, they may acclimatise to the neons as being 'part of the furniture'? Apparently angels all have quite distinctive personalities i.e. aggressive to passive.

I wouldn't do 3 angels. Either one or two. It's almost impossible to sex angels until they're older IMO. I'd try for 1m 1f or 2f. If you get 3 angels it's possible you'll get a pair and they will terrorize the third. ( learned that from experience). I have kept my angels with neons, black neons, and cardinal tetras with no problem. Your food will work fine with the angels. Id say go for it. Angels are my favorite fish.
I currently have 8.
6 platinums
(1 double dark)--------/they're my
(1 domestic silver)---------/pair

I've found the angels ignore the neons but the neons are no where near as adventurous and stayed in a corner near the gravel floor. I netted the neons last week to put in a small tank and as soon as near the surface, the angels were trying to get through the net to get the neons. I suspect to date that anything small and swimming at water surface the angels will check out.

I bought some feeder fish ( similar size to Neons) for my BGK, I also have 6 Angels in the tank, and was told the Angels would eat them as well. The feeder fish are getting nice and fat and neither Angels nor BGK are the least bit interested lol .

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

Do not get a breeding pair of angels. If they are a true breeding pair, your entire tank is jeopardized because they will protect their spawning site.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do not get a breeding pair of angels. If they are a true breeding pair, your entire tank is jeopardized because they will protect their spawning site.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes the pair will defend it's site. They usually just chase the fish away tho. No harm there. It's kinda hard to control whether or not you get a pair. If you have a m and a f chances are you'll eventually get a pair.

When they age you will end up with territorial issues. You'll have about a year before you have to deal with this. Adult angelfish bring in a premium if you ever have to get rid of one.

Angles can become aggressive. I have angle and tetras in the same tank right now. They do great actually.
As far as matting. Just because you have m and f. Dose not mean they will mate. I had a male and female. (Female recently died.) they didn't want anything to do with each other. They were not mean to each other. They just ignored each other.

Mine paired. I had 2m 1f. Got a pair and had to sell the second male.

Angel fish are full of personality. If you get some, try to get a mix of males & females, they will get along much better with each other. We have 2 angels, both ended up being males and constantly fighting. They still share a tank but are separated with a divider.
Good Luck.

I'd go with three just because it may be easier in the long run when it comes to deciding which one(s) to keep. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

No I don't have a particular stain, suggestions? ~ I'm still torn on how many to get - 2 or 3???

No I don't have a particular stain, suggestions? ~ I'm still torn on how many to get - 2 or 3???

I've heard odd numbers are better for Angels but I cannot testify to this as I ain't never kept them. I'd personally recommend three as long as you swear to keep up on your water changes ;). I do know however Angels are natural predators of Neons and will eat them once they get of size.

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom