Angels with GBR in 36 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan87500

Aquarium Advice Freak
I finally finished cycling and got two angel fish that were a little bigger than I thought they would be. They are probably about 3 -4 inches big. The two seem to be getting along and were not necessary paired up according to the individual I bought them from. They are always next to eachother but I don't even know what sex they are.

I was thinking about adding one or two pair of GBR to the tank and wanted to get your thoughts on if that is a good idea or not given the size of the tank and the larger angels aready in there.

The GBR breeder didn't think that was an issue but have gotten bad advice from other breeders before.

Thanks!

I don't think the angels would care either way but you never know until you try.

That being said, I think one pair of GBR is going to your max in that size tank. Probably not big enough to support 2 pairs.

I don't think that's a good idea, just because I know how sensitive GBRs can be. I keep my pair in a 30 with a small group of neons and my tank is heavily planted. Also keeping more than one pair of GBR needs to be done in a larger aquarium. So adding in a pair of angels I don't think would work. But that's just my opinion.

May the force be with you.

I got two small GBR and the angel fish are non stop chasing them. Does this end eventually or are these two angel to aggressive for any other fish?

I got two small GBR and the angel fish are non stop chasing them. Does this end eventually or are these two angel to aggressive for any other fish?

That might be a sign that they are a pair. If so, they will not stop chasing those gbrs till they are dead.

Do you have another tank to put them in?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What is interesting is one of the Angels I thought was on its way out not eating not swimming. Now it is going crazy chasing.

If they are a pair does that mean I can not put anything else in a tank with them.

They are definitely teaming up.

I have a 20 gallon I started cycling I can move them to if I need to.

Plants driftwood and some rocks.

A couple things you could try.

- Removing the angels, change the tank around a little bit and then re-introduce them. This may cause them to re-assess their territory.
- Add some target fish. For example, a shoal of tetras.

IME since the angels were there first, it will most likely continue. They are cichlids, semi-aggressive, and territorial punks. I feel they're more aggressive than semi aggressive. It's often considered that it's best to add in a group of at least three, since sexing can be difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Angels are hard to sex, the females have a rounded head from mouth to gill, the male has a small bump about half way up, the only true way is when they start lip locking and showing their breeding tube.......

For now I moved them to a 20 gallon. I plan to add some neons change the tank and try to reintroduce them in maybe a week or so.

One of the Angels hasn't been eating and starting to suspect an internal parasite so plan to treat that as well since I have them out of the main tank.

Back
Top Bottom