Another newbie, be gentle please hehe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You leave it til it rots. =] Honestly, I'd put it in, cover the tank with a blanket and don't look for 3 weeks. Try to think about something else, and don't stress about the fishless cycle like some people do; all it takes it patience, and you don't need to test every day. Just my opinion.

+1, that is how a lot of people get burnt out on fishless cycling. They want things to happen in a snap when it takes some time. I agree that just putting the shrimp in and leaving it for 3 weeks and then checking your params would be a great way to fishless.

On a side note, DO NOT use anything to change your water's hardness/pH. A higher hardness will help keep your pH more stable in the long run and prevent pH crashes during your cycle. It is better to have a hardness that is a bit high, but stable than it is to have one that is fluctuating due to added chemicals. Something like peat moss filtration can soften water, but there really isn't a need for this unless you are going to breed fish native to soft water areas.

Hope that makes sense...

Like the others mentioned, fishless cycle takes a while, yeah patience is needed but the pay off is GREAT! Ive added pics of my fishless cycle, where you can see the pantyhose that I filled with raw shrimp. Smelt funky hahahha but it was helping the process big time.

Attachments

• Visser 004.JPG
    Visser 004.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Visser 002.JPG
    Visser 002.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 81
On a side note, DO NOT use anything to change your water's hardness/pH. A higher hardness will help keep your pH more stable in the long run and prevent pH crashes during your cycle. It is better to have a hardness that is a bit high, but stable than it is to have one that is fluctuating due to added chemicals. Something like peat moss filtration can soften water, but there really isn't a need for this unless you are going to breed fish native to soft water areas.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what you just said is something I am worried about.
I am going to sound thick now, so pls be kind!! Is my reading alkaline or acid?? (Doh..)
I am in a soft water area... I am worried my water is TOO soft for my fish, and that could be why I am having a few problems.. I have exhausted other reasons, as all my other levels are fine..? When I test my water, my Ph is at 6.2. Constantly..

Last edited:
@Karen have you tested the GH of your water, cause that will give you a way better picture on that front, had the same problem with "soft" water.

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me so soon too : )
I have just whizzed down to my supplier, and alongside my testing, he tested too.. Yes, my GH looks normal, but there is another reading that looks too acid?? i, in his opinion my PH is too acid, but not something to worry about? OK..
He did not advise anything to change it?? Should I? Thanks again warthog xxx

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me so soon too : )
I have just whizzed down to my supplier, and alongside my testing, he tested too.. Yes, my GH looks normal, but there is another reading that looks too acid?? i, in his opinion my PH is too acid, but not something to worry about? OK..
He did not advise anything to change it?? Should I? Thanks again warthog xxx

Supplier is right, anything below 7pH is acidic, I got some crushed coral from the petshop to help bump mine up. You could give that a try, since earlier this year I did suffer some losses due to gH being way too soft and pH being a bit under the 7 mark, got that sorted with the Coral, now I have a way more stable tank.

Supplier is right, anything below 7pH is acidic, I got some crushed coral from the petshop to help bump mine up. You could give that a try, since earlier this year I did suffer some losses due to gH being way too soft and pH being a bit under the 7 mark, got that sorted with the Coral, now I have a way more stable tank.
Will speak to him. thank you againxxx:thanks:

Btw, just as a little aside, I saw that you had some Bogwood. Like others have said, that might stain your water a bit (the wood contains chemicals called tannins which seep out into the water staining it), so soaking is a good idea (gets some of those tannins out)

But one other thing that you might want to try would be to boil the wood in water a few times (if the wood's small enough and/or the pot's big enough lol). I did that with these two pieces of wood that I got and it worked like a charm, my water never got stained at all. It kinda works in the same way as you prepare tea. The boiling hot water causes the tannins to seep out a bit faster.

Back
Top Bottom