Another tank issue. Help ASAP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just noticed the trim around the bottom of my tank is broken and someone has tried patching it with silicone. Is this going to affect how sturdy the tank is? Somehow I have a feeling I need to drain it right away. I never noticed it until now, of course after I had it all setup :(

img_1920705_0_d34490ba554082f5a600b8735a748220.jpg

Anyone? I need to know if I should drain this ASAP or if it will be ok.

I think that's one of those things where you'd just have to wait and see?

It really depends on how good a job they've done with the silicone.

Edit: fix spelling

It looks like a sloppy patch job, probably to stop a small leak. I don't think there's an imminent danger but keep your eye open for any leaks. If not I'd get a razor and clean it up a bit for aesthetics.

The tank will be fine with broken plastic trim. It is there more for visual effects, it does help the overall support of the tank but not enough to worry about. They manufacture tanks with no plastic trim at all on them. When I had my fishroom set up better than half the tanks had plastic trim missing, and never had an issue. The silicone is what holds the tank together. Just enjoy your tank and don't worry!!

The tank will be fine with broken plastic trim. It is there more for visual effects, it does help the overall support of the tank but not enough to worry about. They manufacture tanks with no plastic trim at all on them. When I had my fishroom set up better than half the tanks had plastic trim missing, and never had an issue. The silicone is what holds the tank together. Just enjoy your tank and don't worry!!

ok. I thought the plastic was there to support the tank joints. I'll give it some time and keep an eye on it. I done need a catastrophic failure and have all that water coming out. I'm in a 2nd floor apt building, lol.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Its almost 11pm here and If I need to drain this thing, I need to do it soon, lol.

I would clean up the silicone that's not on the joints for appeal and add water and see if there is any leaks and continue to gradually add water as a stress test

I would clean up the silicone that's not on the joints for appeal and add water and see if there is any leaks and continue to gradually add water as a stress test

Its fully filled and not leaking. Has been for about 6 hours now. But I have one other issue as well that I posted about here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/tank-stability-issue-please-help-205242.html

I think the issue in the link above is my biggest concern now that I really think about it. Any thoughts?

How did you just notice this? I mean... it sticks out like a sore thumb. Are you sure this isn't the aftermath of your uneven stand with a gap? http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/tank-stability-issue-please-help-205242.html

I bought the tank from a friend who had it filled since last fall. HE never put fish in it and decided he had no room. I picked it up from him and moved it right to my living room. I never really inspected it because it was coming from a friend. After I had it filled and I noticed the water level was lower in one corner and thats when I started looking the tank over and found that. It was on the back side of by the wall so it wasnt as noticeable right away.

I didn't say that. I said I wouldn't use it. As to whether it will continue to hold, I don't know. Just wouldn't be worth the risk to me. If you're comfortable with it, go ahead.

I didn't say that. I said I wouldn't use it. As to whether it will continue to hold, I don't know. Just wouldn't be worth the risk to me. If you're comfortable with it, go ahead.

I was half way comfortable until I read this. I think I'll just take it down and toss it. Just another $50 loss :(

Decided just to tear the thing down and take the loss. Guess its back to craigs list.

If the silicone was used to patch the crack in the trim, there is no issue with the tank. The trim is not necessary for the integrity of the tank. I would use that tank without a second thought.
The stand is either not level, which is the cause of the one corner being lower. The bad thing about this is the tank is trying to twist. The stand needs to be levelled, and the top made flat. If, in fact, the corner that is overhanging is warped down, you can rectify that by adding a piece of 3/4" plywood to the top. Additionally, a piece of styro about 1/2" to 3/4" thick can be placed between the tank and top to absorb any minor discrepencies in flatness.
One thing that can make a tank lookout of level is if the trim pieces are not on evenly. Measure the distance between the top and bottom trim in the four corners, to see if they are the same. It looks to me like the stand is out of level and you can rectify that with some shims. The tank itself doesn't look like an issue to me. I would be glad to have it.

Last edited:
If you were to prop up the back left corner a little bit it would push the water into the front right corner. Being that the tank corners aren't touching the stand, I bet you the reason for you're problems is the stand being warped.

As for the cracked trim, i don't think it does anything besides help the tank sit level and elevated off the surface. If you're glass was cracked I would say get rid of it. Being that it's just the trim I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Back
Top Bottom