Aquarium fleas? or lice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheezysquirrelz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've posted about this problem a few months ago and its getting worse. Around the inside of my tank(on the glass) just above the top of the water, I have these really tiny bugs. They are super fast, and can jump really far. They also can float and jump on the top of the water.

They are in my cichlid tank and were in my others, but now I think only my cichlid tank has them.

What are these, and how can I get rid of them???(besides squishin' em with my finger) Are there any fish that could live with my cichlids that would eat them? The cichlids stay near the bottom, and almost never come near the top.

You probably don't have live plants in your cichlid tank, so I doubt they're aphids or anything related to aphids.

My best guess is that they might be midges (a tiny, harmless fly). Do you feed your fish live bloodworms? Perhaps a few pupated into aduilt flies.

I think it's extremely unlikely that they're fleas or ticks - these insects rarely stray far from their mammalian hosts, and they die quickly in water. You don't have an outdoor cat that likes to sit on top of the tank, though?

I actually do have live plants in my tall tank--Amazon Swords

No, never fed live bloodworms before.

My cats are indoor and have no intrest in my tanks.

The bugs are very, very small and are brown with 6 legs.

Back
Top Bottom