Aquarium lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotsofbabies

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm very confused at the moment.

Could someone please clear this up:

Aquarium lights should be switched off at night?
or
Aquarium lights should be on at all times?
or
Aquariums that are close to or by windows don't need lights?

Regardless of fish/snails/etc...

I know the sun creates algae and snail love eating that, but really, I've seen soooo many different opinions on this. :confused:

1. An aquarium shouldn't be placed in direct sunlight where possible.

2. An aquarium should never have it's lights on at all times. Fish need the dark too and recharge during 'night'.

3. An aquarium should have it's lights on around 8 hours a day. This is known as the photo-period. It is beneficial for fish, inverts and plants to have both light and dark.

freshwater aquarium lights should only be on for 8 hours at a time and off at night so 8 hours on and the rest of the day and night off usually this is what i recommend for planted aquariums.... but if there is sunlight because it is near a window and you dont have plants only turn the light on to view the fish and aquarium and let the sun do the lighting for the fish to be comfortable....

1. An aquarium shouldn't be placed in direct sunlight where possible.

2. An aquarium should never have it's lights on at all times. Fish need the dark too and recharge during 'night'.

3. An aquarium should have it's lights on around 8 hours a day. This is known as the photo-period. It is beneficial for fish, inverts and plants to have both light and dark.

freshwater aquarium lights should only be on for 8 hours at a time and off at night so 8 hours on and the rest of the day and night off usually this is what i recommend for planted aquariums.... but if there is sunlight because it is near a window and you dont have plants only turn the light on to view the fish and aquarium and let the sun do the lighting for the fish to be comfortable....

:thanks: to you both! At least you agree on 8 hours of light a day!

Any other opinions out there?

You can run lights 10 hours, but you risk more Algae. I use timers. In order for me to enjoy my tanks more and keep my tanks cooler midday, I run a split schedule. 4 hours on/ 4 Off/4On. My fish are thinking about breeding and my plants are great.

Aquarium Lights

I'm very confused at the moment.

Could someone please clear this up:

Aquarium lights should be switched off at night?
or
Aquarium lights should be on at all times?
or
Aquariums that are close to or by windows don't need lights?

Regardless of fish/snails/etc...

I know the sun creates algae and snail love eating that, but really, I've seen soooo many different opinions on this. :confused:

Hello Lots...

Most aquarium plants and fish are tropical, so are used to long hours of daylight. Keep your tank lights on a timer set for 12 hours on and 12 off. This way, you provide periods of daylight and dusk or darkness.

You can have a tank close to a window provided you have curtains or blinds to control the amount of direct sunlight that shines on the tank. Direct sunlight isn't good, but at certain times of the year, the indirect sun light won't hurt, but the tank will still need some consistent lighting. The fish don't care so much about lighting, but your plants need it.

B

Hi, I had a similar question and received the same answers you are getting! I also keep my lights on and off for 12 hours or so at a time... I don't have a timer so I guess it's give and take but it's normally around 12 on and 12 off.. :)

Its not necessary to have a timer on your lights. I agree that 8hrs is optimal but 1/2 an hour give or take once in awhile is ok IMO.

Cichlid Kid said:
Its not necessary to have a timer on your lights. I agree that 8hrs is optimal but 1/2 an hour give or take once in awhile is ok IMO.

The reason I and my club members use timers is so we can have the lights on to feed in the morning and lights on in the evening so I can feed and enjoy my fish. I work a weird schedule so it saves money and hassle. I have 4 tanks running currently.

Timers aren't necessary , but they are helpful. I have timers on my lights for my birds also. My Canary appreciates UV.

12 hours may work for some, for other people it grows algae. Know what works for you. I kept leaving lights on my Betta tank, sometimes all night. Grew BBA !! Now with limited schedule , algae under control.

Tina
member San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society

:thanks: all!

Due to my tanks standing by a big window with block-out blinds, I think they have enough sunlight. I've started putting the lights on from 18:00ish to bedtime around 23:00. I do not have plants, so my concern is mainly for my guppies, their fry and the apple snails and their offspring...

I hope they are happier. :)

Back
Top Bottom