Are you Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericwithac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been seeing alot of posts regarding people wondering if they've overstocked their tanks.

First off, ALWAYS do your research before you go buy fish. It will save you time, money and effort in the long run. I think most people would rather add more fish, then take them out.

I just wanted to post this link here to Aqadvisor. This link will help you figure out the current or proposed stocking situation for your tank, and will tell you what percentage your tank i stocked.

Hopefully the mods can make this a sticky thread so more people will be aware of this great resource!

Good message. Unfortunately it's been repeated many many times and while a lot of people do their research and use aqadvisor there are also many that do not. And an even greater number that join here after already setting up a tank and running into issues.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Good message. Unfortunately it's been repeated many many times and while a lot of people do their research and use aqadvisor there are also many that do not. And an even greater number that join here after already setting up a tank and running into issues.

I agree, just trying to help the great good over here lol

I'm one of the people that preach about aqadvisor, but a lot of people will see the fish and bring em home. It is something that we should do the best we can to help, but still expect people to ignore the assets given to them. Like some people overstock without knowing and will listen to any advice given. Others will say "the fish have been fine for 6 months, I don't see anything wrong." It's like playing baccarat and saying the last five were red, so the next five will also be red.

I joined this forum when I finally started to get serious about the hobby. AKA when I got my 75 gallon tank. Live plants were my main reason. This forum has let me gain more knowledge than any website ever has.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

I've been using AQadvisor for my planning, but am curious, is it really accurate? I've read mixed reviews all over the net. I also notice it does funky things from time to time. Like if I start off adding Congo Tetras to my list, I get an error saying they aren't compatible with my tank (which is accurate) but if I add them later after other fish I never get that message? How can they suddenly be okay? :fish2:

Other than that, it's been a very useful tool combined with other research. Now if my tank would just flippin' cycle and let me get the fish LOL.

And I second Caleb. This site has been extremely helpful.

Aqadvisor is good as a quick tool to help you with general stocking. It tends to be very conservative in terms of stocking levels and the numbers and flags it gives should be taken as advice from anyone should, with skepticism. It relies on information provided by people and information on the fish in the database to get its results. Basically it's like coming here and asking if your stocking will work; some people will say yes, some will say no, others will say maybe. Take what it says as a guideline but do further research on your own to figure out if it will work or not.

I also heartily agree with Caleb--this board has helped me more than any other. Sure, it's cool to see a fish that catches your eye, and bring it home, but you must be sure it'll be alright with your PH, hardness, temperature, and the fish you already have. I think everyone has had an experience where a new fish has injured or killed a beloved fish you already had. It's not worth it. Do your research! And then, if all pans out well, go back to the store and buy the fish you wanted. But come home and research that fish first!

I also heartily agree with Caleb--this board has helped me more than any other. Sure, it's cool to see a fish that catches your eye, and bring it home, but you must be sure it'll be alright with your PH, hardness, temperature, and the fish you already have. I think everyone has had an experience where a new fish has injured or killed a beloved fish you already had. It's not worth it. Do your research! And then, if all pans out well, go back to the store and buy the fish you wanted. But come home and research that fish first!

Agreed. I read multiple sources about water parameters, food, care, size, and temperament before I consider a fish no matter how cool it is. Plus websites will vary a little in details. Some websites might say a Bala Shark needs a 55+ tank while others will tell the truth that you need a 100+. Be responsible and do research before making disasters :)

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Back
Top Bottom