attempting to spawn betta's.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok, I am attempting to spawn betta's... i bought all the right equipment this time. I have a 10 gallon bare bottom tank half full of water, a heater and its set at a steady 80. I have the female in a glass..chimney/vase type thing sitting in the tank and i have styrofaom cup for the male to build his bubble nest.

Now the female had been in my 10 gallon tank next to the male in his 1 gallon for about 3 days and she kept barring up and swimming down to the side where the male is and he kept flaring at her. I put her and him in the 10 gallon yesterday with her in the glass vase and she's beenbarring up and putting her head down and hes been flaring. Well tonight before i went to work i had a full bubble nest and i plan on releasing the female in the morning.

Everthing seems to be going perfect... maybe too perfect??? LOL. Any other advice would be much appreciated. I have a seeded sponge filter to go in the tank after they spawn (its in the 55 gallon right now staying seeded.) I don't want anythign disturbing the surface till after they eggs hatch and they are free swimming.

Any other tips... anybody else been successful at spawing bettas and how you did it?
Thanks! 8)

Well, conditioning the female is a beneficial thing to do before breeding, but its a little late for that. Make sure to have a small tank set up for her recovery as I'm sure she'll have a lot of torn fins and maybe some scales missing.

DepotFish said:
Well, conditioning the female is a beneficial thing to do before breeding, but its a little late for that. Make sure to have a small tank set up for her recovery as I'm sure she'll have a lot of torn fins and maybe some scales missing.

yes i have been feeding them frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp every day since i got them. And i know that the female will be beat up as i have done a lot of research on this and i did try it a couple times wihtout success.

well this morning he was under the bubble nest and she was in a corner but i didn't see any eggs in the bubble nest? How do i tell if they have spawned for sure or not?

well she's still barred up and he will occasionally pursue her but no eggs yet... she doesn't look to beat up yet.. should i give them another day or so????

ANYBODY?

You can take a flash light and shine it at the bottom of the nest. If there's eggs in it thet will showup with the light.

was the females egg tube showing before you tryed to breed them?

Weasel F. said:
You can take a flash light and shine it at the bottom of the nest. If there's eggs in it thet will showup with the light.

was the females egg tube showing before you tryed to breed them?

Yes the females tube has been showing even before i introduced them to each other...

Today and yesterday the female has been hanging out under the nest and she's still barred up. The male will go and flare at her and she will sit there with her head down like "come on dude lets go" but he never does anything.. he just works on his nest and swims around.
Are they ever gonna breed??? LOL

Good Luck. I hope it goes well. I may try and do it one day myself. Will learn from what you find out. :)

no it didn't work... it was a pain in the ass and they never spawned... I did everything i was supposed to and NOTHING. I have tried different males and differnt females and NOTHING. LOL... guess ill leave it to the pro's.

How long are you leaving her in the tank with the male not in the vase but the tank?

I just always throw the female srt8 into the tank with the male. I will leave her in the tank with the me for up to 2 days before I pull her. There's sevral differnt things we cm do to get them to breed. I'll help you anyway I can. Here's my e-mail address buggieboy652000@yahoo.com.
Ok e-mail or yahoo I M me and we can get this done it's really not that hard. There's just a few thanks we need to find out frist. Then we'll take it from there.

What type of Betta are they Half moon, vail tail, crown tail ? { knowing this will lso help for the net steps} just e-mail me or IM me and I'll help you to get them to spwn, I;ve helped 3 or 4 others get there's to breed. I an give you there names and you an ask if you'd like . But give me a try and I'll get you a fry.

Waitting for your info? LOL LMAo

At least your male's placid. The male I have right now is a lady killer, literally. I couldn't leave a female in there for a second. He even bites at the divider when they swim close. He's got a lifetime of loneliness ahead of him. Unless I stick him in the comet tank. Ah well, I got a new purple female the other day which should satisfy my fish obsession for a bit longer anyway.

im not gonna bother trying anymore... its more of a pian than anything. i thought it would be fun and easy but it really was a lot of work. Ive really gotta focus on my career right now and im doing my practicum but anyway thanks for the advice.

It looks to me like you gained some usefull experince in this endevor.
One.. you were sucessfull in prepping a female to spawn. thats not entirely easy.
Two.. you were able to correctly monitor the activtity and sucessfully kept the female from being harmed.. Good Job! :D

The only thing I see that hindered your sucess was your lack of time to focus on it, three days and you became frustrated. I think you would be sucessful once you have the extra time to work with this.
good luck in the future :D

Greenmaji.. thanks for teh encouragment.. im jsut really busy right now.. if i had more time to devote id probly work harder but im doing like 6 12 hour shifts a week right now ... 3 for work and 3 as a graduate nurse for my practicum. ERG.. its so crazy. One day i am the nurse... the next day im still a tech. I can't wait till i get my license!

oh wait.. thast off topic... betta's spawning... what? LOL

Back
Top Bottom