Avoiding Bad Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with all post. And I also think pet stores should tell the eventual size of the fish and the compatability of the fish.

I agree with all post. And I also think pet stores should tell the eventual size of the fish and the compatability of the fish.
I agree. Sooooooooo many people get fish and have no idea that they grow into monsters. Of course people need to do their research, but I wish everybody could rely on fish stores as a source of research.:)

GodFan said:
I agree. There are more factors. This ius just to give a base and it doesnt apply at all under certain circumstances. Yea and they said 1 fish per gallon and then sold us 10 fish in one day for an uncycled tank. AND 1 of the fish was a red tailed shark!

Wow that's bad. But I can top it lol. I got sold 4 tetras and a rts for a 2.5g when I first started out. Lucky I decided to research so they only lived like that for a week.

Horrible advice that hasn't been mentioned yet. "Your fish wont outgrow to the size of your tank" as if stunting is some how and acceptable way to not overstock your tank

Horrible advice that hasn't been mentioned yet. "Your fish wont outgrow to the size of your tank" as if stunting is some how and acceptable way to not overstock your tank
I agree. I fell victim to this "logic" when I first started.

Unfortunately this was a common school of thought before the effects of stunting were really understood and it seems the fish stores are usually the last ones to abandon these old ideas. You would think they would be on the cutting edge of new info/technology since its there business to know fish but sadly this just isn't true

So, learning new things here.....

Can you guys take a look at my tank info, (in my profile/bio)
And give me your opinions please?

WOW! A sturgeon really?? How big do those guys get? I remember my Dad catching one of those when I was a kid it was HUGE!!! :) Welcome to the site btw!

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah the sturgeon can reach 3 to 4 ft in a tank according my 3 local stores.
2 of which can take any fish that gets to large for my tank.

I do intend to build a 300g tank sometime in the next few years.

Good point. I am glad you mentioned that. I know I was told that when I was younger and I have heard (read) other people on here say (type) the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom