best choice for stocking a cycled 20 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish85

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey so ive had my tank setup for about a year now. but i cant decide what to stock it with. now i in there now, a cory cat that survived the cycling process, and is doing verry well i happy to say and a pleco that was given to me by a friend because he couldent care for it any more.

current readings
-ph: 6.4
-ammonia: 0 ppm to 0.25 ppm
-nitrite: 0 ppm
-nitrate: 5.0 ppm

just wondering what to stock the tank with at this point. i was thking some tiger barbs, but i was told they are agressave and would pick on the plecco. any ideas would be helpfull thanks

fish85 said:
hey so ive had my tank setup for about a year now. but i cant decide what to stock it with. now i in there now, a cory cat that survived the cycling process, and is doing verry well i happy to say and a pleco that was given to me by a friend because he couldent care for it any more.

current readings
-ph: 6.4
-ammonia: 0 ppm to 0.25 ppm
-nitrite: 0 ppm
-nitrate: 5.0 ppm

just wondering what to stock the tank with at this point. i was thking some tiger barbs, but i was told they are agressave and would pick on the plecco. any ideas would be helpfull thanks

Have you looked into five banded barbs? They have basically the same markings as tiger barbs but aren't aggressive. Then maybe a pair of german blue rams. Then a school of tetra.

thanks but are u talking about adding all these fish or is it a pick one sitcheation
plus i already have a school of neons tetras in another tank.... what about daynos

fish85 said:
thanks but are u talking about adding all these fish or is it a pick one sitcheation
plus i already have a school of neons tetras in another tank.... what about daynos

Yes you pick ones you like out of the list. You could look into some danios but you can't have any slow moving fish with them. They are very active and hog a bit of food at feeding time.

i like the blueram idea..... how big do they get and would i be able to add a gurami or 2 along w/ the blue rams???

fish85 said:
i was thinking 2 dwarf guramis

Usually fish shops only sell male dwarf Gouramis , which will 9/10 fight. I have 5 2 male and 3 female and they are fine. But they will probably fight. You could do one though.

Usually fish shops only sell male dwarf Gouramis , which will 9/10 fight. I have 5 2 male and 3 female and they are fine. But they will probably fight. You could do one though.

if i find male and female gurami (they dont have to be dwarf) thats ok right????

if they arent dwarf gouramis, (flame, honey, and pygymy are some common ones) they will soon grow big where swimming space could become an issue. blue spot, gold gouramis are also two gouramis that grow up to 4 -5 inches and when mature, they need to be in larger size tanks.

What type of pleco and cory cat?

First you should sort the cory numbers. Though I'm not sure I would recommend a shoal of corys and a pleco in a 20 gallon.

Personally I would do 2 schools of tetras. Say 6 rummy nose and 6 Xray prestilla and a gourami. Not all gourami are small or a good fit for a 20 gallon so you need to be sure you pick a suitable one. Some grow to be 6 inches while dwarfs stay closer to 2

fish85 said:
if i find male and female gurami (they dont have to be dwarf) thats ok right????

No because the male will harass the female . Ideally you need 1 male to 2-3 females. I wouldn't do that them because of how many numbers you need.

What type of pleco and cory cat?

First you should sort the cory numbers. Though I'm not sure I would recommend a shoal of corys and a pleco in a 20 gallon.

Personally I would do 2 schools of tetras. Say 6 rummy nose and 6 Xray prestilla and a gourami. Not all gourami are small or a good fit for a 20 gallon so you need to be sure you pick a suitable one. Some grow to be 6 inches while dwarfs stay closer to 2

not shure the type of pleco but heres a pic

Attachments

• IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 51
i think im gonna steer clear of gurami for now maybe the pair of german blue rams with some kind of tetra maybe red eye tetras

Back
Top Bottom