Betta 10g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys , my son has recently got a new 10 gallon and a betta for his room, he begged and begged and said he was ready to do all the work with my guidance of course. So I caved and home came 'Orange' the Betta. I put some small live plants I took from my tank in there and have used the seeded material from my cycled filter. I will be getting him some driftwood and some more plants.
Anyway I'm curious if anyone has had success with having any type of shrimp in with their bettas ?
Or what would work in this tank with the single betta. I suggested snails but he's not keen on that idea at all.

Cool tank.
As far as compatibility, it’s basically a gamble. If you grow lots of plant cover for the shrimp, it could work. If your betta is more laid back, it could work. There is a possibility that your betta would terrorize them. All you can really do is give it a try if you want them.

Thanks , it's a start :) Hmmm , I wouldn't want the shrimp to be dinner. I also don't think we get the larger variety shrimp in Perth , WA .
I will be getting lots more plants soon and some driftwood with moss possibly attached. I would like to add something else to the tank if there's a safer bet than shrimp possibly.

Something small like ember tetras might work, they stay small and you could get 6 so they have a group and won't be as likely to fin nip. I had 2 bettas in a split 10, one had shrimp and whenever the shrimp escaped to the other side that guy would try to kill them. Really depends on plant cover and personality

You could also try Pygmy corys, they are active and stay small. You could easily keep a school of 6 in there no problems with the Betta

I agree with Coreysheli. Pygmy corys are awesome. I have an obnoxious betta that was the cause of my tetras' death. I would be cautious with ember tetras because they are so tiny. My betta shares a 10 gallon tank with 3 pygmycorys and he doesnt mind them at all. What is nice about the pygmy cory, while they are tiny, they are also fast and stay out of they betta's way. My betta actually gets along really well with them. I also had shrimp with my betta, the longest one lasted was about a week before the betta saw it as food. I attached a picture of my betta and a cory to the right. My betta was being camera shy.
20180120_182033.jpg

Back
Top Bottom