Betta questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deitta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I want to get this one right this time. He is really pretty and has come to me healthy rather than Wal-Mart-y. I am hoping to have him for a couple of years!

1) I purchased some betta water conditioner tabs, they looked interesting. They say to do a complete water change once a week by pulling the betta out, completely changing the water and dropping in one of these fizzy tabs. Then once the fizzing action is done to transfer the fish back without any of the old water. And not to drop the tab in while the fish is in the water. ---- Is this much of a water change recomended? I store water at room temp so the temp won't be an issue.

2) I have some pretty glass marbles for a bottom cover, but does he really need to have a plant? I really woundn't want a plant in there since it would ruin the astetics... but if I had to.. sigh.

3) What other betta-specific things do I need to know? I am using the betta floating pellets 3 per day... ok twice a day... I am a sucker! :roll:
He has medium light and is swimming around being active but not manic.

What type of tank is it and how large is it? What type of filtration? How you do water changes for the Betta is very dependent on these. Having a plant or two is a really good idea IMO. Betta are pretty smart (for a fish) and keeping one in a black space full of water is not very entertaining for the Betta.

Mix up the food a bit, a variety of food is more healthy than the always feeding Betta bites. My Betta eats OSI and Omega One flake food now, with the ocassional brine shrimp tossed in the tank as well.

Marbles make a horrible substrate. They trap food and waste. Food that would normally sit on top of gravel until a fish eats it will fall right between the marbles and rot.

I would also point out that you shouldn't bother with the fizzy tabs-- get a liquid water conditioner (nearly any brand works). Your betta will also need a heater. The plants should be live or silk, because plastic ones can tear their fins.

Here's a good page on general care of bettas:

http://www.deepbluebettas.com/BettaCare.shtml

Ok, the shame commenses! :oops:
I had originally purchased this betta for my 6 gal. but the gourami was extremely agressive (trying to tear through the plastic), so I had to do something with him. My best option was to put him in a 1gal glass flower vase... I know, not the best. My plan was to keep at least 50% water changes to keep the water good. I had bought the fizzy tabs, thinking they would be able to be used with the fish in the water. oops. I really can't get him a better set up for quite some time, so I have to make it the best I can.
No heater... no electric plugs in the only area. I have large candles near the tank so he isn't in the total open, he gets some visual stimulation from my hubby's bird. When Frodo (hey, I didn't name him!) fluffs his feathers, the betta does the same! Fins-n-Feathers, tee hee.
I can get him a silk plant for a little more security (though he hasn't been acting poorly). Glad you mentioned silk, I would have put a spare plastic one in! yipes.

Any other advice for making THIS setup the best? :?

Bettas tend to not like to much light, so in my tank it's usually off, but as long as it's not to bright and there's no light on at night medium light should be fine.

What kind of gourami do you have? I'm thinking about getting 2 or 3 for my new community tank... and I've heard the regular gourami's are semi-agressive, especially with bettas, but the dwarfs are peaceful, so I was planning to get a dwarf, but if you're having problems w/ a betta and gouramis I'm gonna stick w/ the betta.

Also make sure you give him a variety of food. Mine looooves bloodworms. They can get bored pretty quickly and are also fairly picky eaters, so a good variation in his diet would prolly make him much happier.

Although ideally bettas should be in around 75-80 degree water, most people i know do not have theirs in a heated container, and they have lived a long time, although I must admit their bettas look rather miserable.

I definatly agree about getting a silk plant, my betta sleeps in his plants. He's in my 10 gallon community tank right now, but once I'm done w/ the fishless amonia cycle in my new tank he will be going into a 50 gallon.

Also, especially since the "tank" is so small, you might wanna try 10% water changes twice a week... definatly don't take out all the water. I also agree about the stones you have for Frodo, I would recommend some of the fish gravel. It's usually about $2-3 for a bag, and you'll only need one, and since you seem to care about aesthetics... they come in all kinds of colors so you can even get it to match u're little betta. :D

Good luck w/ him!

Some dwarves are just as aggressive as the larger gouramis.

Gouramis and bettas should not be mixed at all- they're actually related and thus treat each other as "competitors."

I blocked out half of my light with black electrical tape on the cover. Thus, I can still see him, his colors show up well, but it's still "dark" enough for him to enjoy. I wouldn't try the gourami and betta in the same tank unless you've got 29 gal or bigger. I've had luck with mine, but it's a 55 gal. My opaline and betta are actually good friends 8O . If you do try it, be prepared to separate them for good. Don't use the tabs, use regular water conditioner like Hypostomus said, and 10% twice a week should be good.

Yeah, Mine's a 50 gal. It has lots of places to hide etc. So I'm hoping it'll be ok. If it's not however, I will move my betta back to my 10 gallon by himself.

When I tried him with the Dwarf, the Dwarf tried to rip thru the plastic bag for the first hour! I gave up then.
The good news is the Betta seems to be happy, he is making a bubble nest! And there is no female around. Isn't that a good sign? He hasn't got really serious about it, just a corner of the vase is two bubbles deep. If he was truely unhappy, he wouldn't do that, right?

Yes, he's happy. But my experience has been that they will only build the nest in their younger years. As they age, they will no longer feel the need to build a nest. But that does not mean that they aren't happy. Just past their prime (if you know what I mean) :wink: If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Back
Top Bottom