Betta Water Treatment??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karmachica

Aquarium Advice Regular
Should I use Prime to treat the water in my Betta's 5g tank vs Jungle Bowl Buddies water conditioner fizz tabs?

After joining this forum I've discovered the wonderful world of Prime and have started using it in my 29g and 20g tanks during water changes.

For betas though, what is the best way to treat the water in my 5g? My beta used to be in a 1.5g tank and I used those Bowl Buddies fizz tabs for betas and didn't have any issues. However, one tab treats up to 2 gallons of water. So 2 tabs would treat up to 4g... Well now my beta is in a 5g and if I use those.. I feel like I will be either under treating the water, over treating the water, or stuck with breaking a tab in half each time to treat that extra gallon?

I don't like adding unnecessary chemicals all the time to my tanks and that's why I really like Prime. Would using this in my betas tank treat the water to the conditions he needs? And if so, there really aren't directions for Prime for treating such a small amount of water.

Any suggestions/ advice/ and or own experiences to share with me?

You can definitely use prime in your Bettas tank. What's good for the other fish is good for him. No use buying two different water conditioners. If memory serves me correctly its two drops per gallon.

Just use something like an eye dropper for it? The bottle I have just has a screw cap and then it's open for pouring

Yea that's a good idea thank you :)

One more question:

I know this topic is very debatable, but for specifically betas- do I need to use aquarium salt? I know it's beneficial for quarantining sick fish and for whatever other specific issues that happen w/ fish, but just as a regular water treatment is it helpful or harmful to betas? I believe I've read that it's not good for them however it's a question that often goes "off topic" w/ different theories etc.

I just want to know specifically for my healthy one male crown tail beta that lives by himself in his 5g tank if I should be using aquarium salt?

IMHO no. He does not need salt. I have seen countless debates, theories and 'research' and what it comes down to is he is a fresh water fish that needs fresh water. :) Keep him warm, give him good food and provide clean water and he'll be happy and healthy. :)

Back
Top Bottom