Bio balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woody390

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a turtle tank and have set up a sump on it (it's an old marine tank) . I want to place some bio balls in there as biological filtration. Does size make a difference for bio balls like is it better to have more small ones or less larger ones or no real difference?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't think size has anything to do with it honestly. It's total volume IMO. If you can only fill a 5g bucket with 5g of product, does it matter if it's water or kool aid ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I don't think size has anything to do with it honestly. It's total volume IMO. If you can only fill a 5g bucket with 5g of product, does it matter if it's water or kool aid ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!
If you're talking about sand, then that analogy works. But think of marbles in a box. Will there be more unused space with small marbles or large marbles?

That being said, it doesn't matter either way. If it were me I'd skip the bio balls and fill the sump with plastic pot scrubbers.

That's a really good suggestion, Mebbid! I'll remember that for my future tanks.

Back
Top Bottom