Blue Acara's breeding. Question's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlwn88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I recently setup a 75G cichlid tank, now established, with 2 blue acaras, 1 firemouth, and 1 gold severum, 5 tiger barbs, the cichlids all right around 3 inches or so. The two Acara's have already started breeding! This is the first time I'm experiencing this so I want to make sure I do it right. They are following eachother, their colors are showing when getting close, one is vibrating next to the other one, etc. I haven't seen them move any rocks yet I've been working a lot lately so I'm sure they have.

Now I'm not a noob to fish keeping but to breeding I am. I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for through searching. Do you have any links to good articles on what to do when your cichlid breed?

Should I get a divider so the other cichlids won't eat any eggs? How long does the breeding process take, like how soon should I see fry at this point? I'm considering getting a grow out tank for them. Anything besides fry that I should have in a grow out tank? Not sure what to do other then that. Any advice would be great!

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, ph 7.3, temp 79-80 F.

UPDATE: They are starting to become more aggressive, usually following the firemouth and severum away from an area they've picked out. Does this mean eggs have already been layed? I can't seem to find any but they picked a cave area so it's hard to tell.
Thanks
Dave

Back
Top Bottom