Bottom feeders and dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qrasflk2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 1 dwarf puffer in a 3 gal tank, what would be a good bottom feeder? :?

The only bottom feeders I can think of that would go in that small of a tank would be shrimp and snails. However the puffer would eat both. You should probably get a bigger tank for the puffer. A ten gallon would be ideal since you could maybe add some cory cats or coolie loachs for bottom feeders with a small pleco to control aglae. But is the puffer fully freshwater or brackish? This would limit the types of fish you can put with it.

Fully Freshwater, I put him in my three gal because he is so small and hard to keep track of. I could put him in my 20 gal but he likes to nip fins....

Otos for algae control. Shrimp may be alright, some eat them,some don't. Start with ghost shrimp and see if he ignores them.In a 3gal, I would only put one oto, up to 3 shrimp.

Kim

You will need a larger tank eventually for it. 10 gallon is perfect. Since it's freshwater you can put a group of cory cats in their or a group of coolie loachs. I particularly enjoy the larger catfish. I have a spotted raphael catfish in my 10 gallon- very cool. He'll eat anything. They get up to 5 and a half inches. Others similar to it are the banjo catfish that gets the same size, and the very cool striped raphael catfish. <-- he gets 8 inches. They will all eat anything that fits in their mouth, just like the puffer. Just remembered. African dwarf frogs could do the trick in the 3 gallon for right now. I suggest only 2. Make sure the puffer doesn't bother them. They get up 2 inches.

Wow you immediately reply after I post something. What is the type of dwarf puffer? Carinotetraodon travancoricus can get up to one inch. Even though they stay small the minimum recommended tank size that I've seen on the web for them is 30 gallons :!: ... However that sounds completely ridiculous. The three gallons you have it in will not let you add any cory cats or other bottoms feeders that are very helpful scavengers. And depending on the puffer it could be very peaceful or very territorial.

I don't know what type he is, I will try to post a pic later.. at the fish store they had them in 1/2 gal tanks with no heater. I might have to talke to them again. Thanks for you help.

I have kept dwarf (Malabar) puffers and I don't think you should be concerned with a bottom feeder in that size tank. I also think that size is fine for a single DP. Just be sure not to overfeed and grave vac up any debris, but they are really best for species-only tanks, IME.

Back
Top Bottom