Bright green algae on top of sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brendan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here's the set up:

10g tank with two incandescent slots. I put a regular incandescent on one side and a compact florescent on the other. The problem I'm starting to have is that the florescent is causing alot of algae to grow. What's your toughts (besides turning the florescent off) on what I should do.

TIA

how many watts is the flourescent?

if its 10 watts or so, I'd actually try to get a second one so you'd have all flourescent lighting. algae is pretty normal in a planted tank... try limiting the nutrients available (less fish food, less ferts, more frequent water changes. As you get the nutrients/light combo balanced, you may prefer the stronger light (flourescent) in the long run.

This algae on the sand, is it slimy looking and comes off in sheets? If so, it might be cyanobacteria, which would be handled differently.

exactly my thoughts TG - bright green algae on the sand sounds very much like cyanobacteria.

If you remove the algae by hand, smell it. does it have a very strong, green smell...sorta like cut grass only more intense?
if it has a strong smell, it's cyano. if it's cyano, i suggest treating with Maracyn (an antibiotic)...use a half dose, every day, for a week.

Back
Top Bottom