Broken canister filter? New one? What kind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jodisgermanshepherd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Rena xp-3 that I've had about 7 years. Never one problem. Yesterday it leaked and I didn't notice till the water had come through the ceiling downstairs :( so I took it apart, cleaned it, put back together. Plugged in and it was leaking out of the where the electric
Cord goes into it? Anyone else have this happen with their Rena? Also my birthday is Monday! I think If necessary I could get a new filter. What kind would you buy??

I have the XP2. Every time I take the lid of or put it back on it usually over fills and spills water. The best canister filter is probably a fluval.

I like my sunsun canister, honestly. Very inexpensive and effective. The parts do feel a bit "cheaper," but I haven't had any breakage or actual issues with them. Can't ask for much more from a canister that price.

I have an xp2 and I've found that you need to empty them when you open it up, makes for easy assembly and it's self priming.
As far as your leak, check for cracks in the plastic of the motor and the condition of your seals. Seals are cheap and could be the fix. Planetrenadirect.com is a great source for parts, as well as ebay.

Can't offer much on the other canisters, only had the rena, but love it.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have an xp2 and I've found that you need to empty them when you open it up, makes for easy assembly and it's self priming.
As far as your leak, check for cracks in the plastic of the motor and the condition of your seals. Seals are cheap and could be the fix. Planetrenadirect.com is a great source for parts, as well as ebay.

Enrgiezerbunnu how do you empty it?

Go with a Fluval, they're awesome!
Good luck!
~Zac

Enrgiezerbunnu how do you empty it?

In the sink or tub. Disconnect quick release valve, carry to tub/sink remove lid, baskets and dump water.
I stopped trying to reassemble with water in it because my baskets kept floating and making it difficult to align them. I do filter maintenance right before a water change so I don't have to top of the tank.

I have a fluval 306 and am very pleased with it. It's reliable and haven't had any spillage to date. Easy to clean and good flow. The ribbed hoses are kind of a pain though.

I tried a sunsun but there was something wrong with it, and it was loud. I was annoyed that I'd already spent money, so I just made my own with a 5 gallon home depot bucket, an extra pump I already had and knew was quiet, some plastic strainers, some silicone, tubing from an old water changer, and a bunch of media I already had. It's still on my 90ish gallon axolotl tank and has been running flawlessly and silently for 4 years.

I tried a sunsun but there was something wrong with it, and it was loud. I was annoyed that I'd already spent money, so I just made my own with a 5 gallon home depot bucket, an extra pump I already had and knew was quiet, some plastic strainers, some silicone, tubing from an old water changer, and a bunch of media I already had. It's still on my 90ish gallon axolotl tank and has been running flawlessly and silently for 4 years.

Hmm, odd. Never had problems with mine, and I know lots of other people who had them as well without any issues. I've had both a fluval and a sunsun - no real difference in filtration quality between the two, and the sunsun was much cheaper.

Hmm, odd. Never had problems with mine, and I know lots of other people who had them as well without any issues. I've had both a fluval and a sunsun - no real difference in filtration quality between the two, and the sunsun was much cheaper.

Yeah, I heard good things about them and still do! Can't recommend it because I don't have experience with a good one lol, but I will say that I think I probably just got a dud. Bound to be one in every batch :) My diys make me feel special anyway :cool: They're my adult version of macaroni art except instead of putting them on the fridge, I can use them to keep my little guys healthy ^_^

Sunsun, Aquatop, and Pingkay are all the same thing. Pingkay are cheapest and come with media to fill all of the trays. The other companies sell that stuff separately, and Aquatop is far more expensive - owning a Sunsun or Pingkay, you can still get parts from Aquatop, since the other companies have little to no support. My Sunsun HW-304B is purring like a kitten.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You were totally right a $15.00 seal kit did the trick!! Yay and that's for the other tips in this thread!! Cheers!!
Y

What about jebao or jebo?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I owned a jebo 828/odyssea CFS4 for about 7 or 8 years now, worked fine until recently it started making a loud humming noise (I could hear this filter humming from another room), and recently started leaking as well.

I took it to my LFS and they revealed that the impeller was broken, which they replaced. I took the jebo filter with the replaced impeller home and plugged it in and it was still humming very loudly!

If its not the impeller then it looks like the motor is going out. Time for a new filter.

Narrowed it down to the Rena/API XP Filter, Fluval 06, or Penn Plax Cascade. Heard good things about all these filters...

Back
Top Bottom